1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling a SKY+ box in a cupboard

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by prthomas, Apr 25, 2003.

1. prthomas

prthomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I currently have all my AV equipment in a cupboard next to the TV. The kit is Sky Digital, DVD, VCR and a few bits and bobs like an IR extender and a RF signal tx.

Anyway, the doors to the unit are quite loose and the kit inside seems pretty cool at the moment, there must be sufficient airflow around the door to ventilate the components as they stand.

However I am thinking that if I get Sky+ then this setup may restrict the airflow for the Sky+ unit, I see from some mailings that hot Sky+ boxes cause a lot of problems/failures.

Anyone got any ideas on what I can do. I think my options are introducing some more ventilation or getting some sort of cooling in there. Does anyone know any small scale cooling solutions which I could use?

Cheers,
    Peter

2. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cooling things down

Is it a cupboard with an outside wall where you can install an air vent? That would be best.

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a more serious note!

You are best advised to fit an "always on" fan. Make sure you buy the quietest one you can. One designed for an HCPC would be ideal. You'll need a power splitter cable to take the power from the hard drive.

This will, of course, invalidate you guarantee!

Failing that you need to fit extractor fans to the rear of the cabinet but they will be noisy. Can't you find room alongside the TV or even on top?

DaveP

4. prthomas

prthomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could put the box under the TV, however having everything in a cupboard looks nicer (according to the wife) and hides it away from the annoying toddler who thinks the sky card goes well with her pretend shop and cash till!

I will look at fitting an extractor fan to the top rear of the cabinet or getting up every 30 minutes and opening the doors to let out the hot air...