Cooler recommendations please

dafnpuppet

I am about to upgrade my current system and have decided on the following components so far:

Asus SABERTOOTH P67 R3 P67 Socket 1155 Motherboard
Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 Processor
G-Skill 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit
OCZ 60GB Vertex 2E SSD 2.5" SATA-II as my OS drive (Win7 64Bit)

I have done a bit of researching and have found that this kit all plays nicely together, but I can find no information about the cooling arrangements for the processor. Does it come with a H/sink and fan or do I need to buy one? and if so, which one would you recommend?

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

John F

Banned
I am about to upgrade my current system and have decided on the following components so far:

Asus SABERTOOTH P67 R3 P67 Socket 1155 Motherboard
Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 Processor
G-Skill 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit
OCZ 60GB Vertex 2E SSD 2.5" SATA-II as my OS drive (Win7 64Bit)

I have done a bit of researching and have found that this kit all plays nicely together, but I can find no information about the cooling arrangements for the processor. Does it come with a H/sink and fan or do I need to buy one? and if so, which one would you recommend?

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Yes it will come with a heatsink, if you are going to oc you will need a better cooler. Give us a price you want to spend & I am sure someone will help. One thing you do not need is triple channel ram, dual channel is cheaper and is better for sb.

paulktreg

Probably one of the best bang/buck coolers available.

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler

If you're considering overclocking the processor you'll need something like the 212+ otherwise the stock cooler will do the job.

... and as John F has already pointed out the i5 memory controller is dual channel so a 2x4GB kit would be more appropriate.

rjw3715

If your going to be overclocking the NH-D14 is the best you can get. It's 60 quid but you seem to have a decent budget.

Last edited:

dafnpuppet

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will go with the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler to be safe. I only intend to gradually OC the processor multiplier to a value less than 40x to maintain stability although I've heard stories of them being pushed to 46x with this board.

you may want to consider the titan fenrir (evo/or not) it's a really good coller and looks pretty decent too, i have one and i must say i was really impressed, the cooler shatters the performance of the likes of the cooler master v8 and noctua nh-c12p.

icstm

A comment if I may on your memory.
P67 does not support triple channel memory, so you should either use 8gb or 16 gb if you want full bandwidth memory.

sureshotkel

Standard Member
I've just ordered an preoverclocked bundle from scan, takes the hassle of fiddling etc

P67 sabertooth
8gb corsair vengeance
2600k overclocked to 4.7 GHZ

Fnz

Standard Member
As mentioned the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus is an excellent cooler for the price. If you only plan a small overclock then the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 is an inexpensive, slightly quieter, option (though not as good at cooling). The Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro (very important) looks like an excellent 'best of both worlds' option. It is not available everywhere and is more expensive than the other two.

A comment if I may on your memory.
P67 does not support triple channel memory, so you should either use 8gb or 16 gb if you want full bandwidth memory.

+1 I was thinking that, you need to stay in even pairs :smashin:

I like the Corsair H70 cooler in mine...Here is an early picture, bits have changed a bit now but you get the idea...

Attachments

• DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 55

mrmikeh

Standard Member
Nice build dejongj, is that a samurai case? If so how'd you like it, thinking of using one in by upcoming i3 build.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom