1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooler advice

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Jazz Monkey Jr, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    I want to replce my CPU cooler, I have an Athlon 2800+ and I have been looking at the Zalman coolers but don't know which one to get.
    I have also got a Geforce 4400 but it is too long for my new DIGN HTPC case - I wanted to get a radeon that would be quiet, something that would just do for DVD's etc, any ideas (9600/9800)?
    The CPU is running at 65C on idle - is this fine, and would it be lower with a zalman cooler?

Thanks

Mal

2. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you seen the Zalman 9500? Claimed to be better than water coolers. Socket A 2800 should be running closer to 45C even with the stock cooler when idle. 65 is way too high

3. demostenes

demostenes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mal, my brother has a zalman cpu fan with copper base and its very good in dissipating the heat from his hot (very very) :mad: p4 3.2Ghz.

Although quite expensive and there's almost no difference between the Al and Cu base, its a BIG fan and i dont know which pc case you're using.

65ºC idle is high, but if your using a small case like my brother who as a small coolermaster desktop that tends to heat up quite a lot, even with 2 additional fans and a good GPU fan. I have a old p4 2.4 and a BIG case (2x120mm :eek: and lots of noise :thumbsdow ) and at full power i have 30ºC

I think the athlons dissipate more heat than the p4 :rolleyes: (== frequency) so i would think twice before putting alot of fans in that case.. specially for a low noise HTPC! (do a search on the liquid dissipation systems for pcs)

Cheers

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only been an AMD user (XP3200) for about 16 hours but my processor is running at 49C. 65C seems extremely hot for an Athlon,

Are you sure you used a good quality thermal paste?

On the subject of graphics cards you can get a good deal on secondhand 9800Pros these days. The cheapest I've seen is £50. There is such a card on Hexus at the moment but you'll need to be quick. He is also offering this passive cooler for an extra twelve notes. If you aren't already an established user on Hexus you won't be able to buy, of course.

Dave

5. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Zalman9500 is a very nice bit of kit - a bit like hens teeth at the moment - we sold our (reduced allocation) in under 2 days.
    I still prefer the thermalright XP120 and a decent fan (Panaflo or acousti-fan) if you have the space - if you don't have a look at the Thermalright XP90, or Zalman CNPS7700.
    Remeber to clean the CPU/heatsink first and use a decent thermal grease - being careful to follow the instructions - too much paste is just as bad as too little - it sounds as if there's something else wrong with your install 65 is way too high 40-50 is a decent target. My personal system listed in my sig rarely goes over 40c

6. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    Thanks for the replies, I may take the cooler of and put some more paste on, it is a stock cooler, from the retail version.
    It is in a new case but I think it was hot in the old case TBH.

I have got a hold at the back on the unit to allow hot air to escape

Here is my case:

[​IMG]

7. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    I am running a few tests, with and without the case on, to see if it is the fan or the location.

8. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    I have done a few tests:

47C with no case on
    51 with case on.
    59 when back under the desk, with an extra fan running at the back

It looks like a few more holes are needed.

9. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    don't put more paste on. That's guaranteed to make things worse. Generally you apply a small rice grain's worth of paste and make a THIN film. Ideally you should clean it all off before you re-apply.

See here for help

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions_big2.htm

You ar trying to fill the tiny imperfections in the surface with paste, but the best contact is metal to metal with highly smooth (polished mirror) surfaces.

Cheers

Rajiv

10. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at your setup I reckon you'd def benefit from using a zalman 9500 - this pushes air out striaght to your exhaust fans and out the back rather than re-circulating it and waiting for the exhausts to pull it out