• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cool things to do with a Synology Disk Station?

PerfectBlue97

I'm strongly considering buying a NAS to use as a media store for my Openelec\XBMC box and various tablets\PCs.

Everywhere I go people are recommending that I get a Synology DS112 or DS212 (or the J version).

It's more expensive than a lot of the basic NAS on offer (which are basically external hard discs), because it apparently does a lot of cool stuff.

I need to be able to justify spending the extra cash, so I'd like to hear some examples of cool things that you can do with it that isn't highlighted on the Synology website. Like software\apps from other companies that I can use on it, or uses that they haven't mentioned.

PerfectBlue97

bubblegum57

Yes, I think the 212j is ARM. So, I can't have plex. Thats why I'm hoping the new Videostation will be the same or similar to plex.

PerfectBlue97

Yes, I think the 212j is ARM. So, I can't have plex. Thats why I'm hoping the new Videostation will be the same or similar to plex.

I only had a quick look through, but it looks like most of the advanced features (such as video transcoding) are Apple only at the moment, and aren't available on any of the smaller DS units. Not even the + models.

next010

Distinguished Member
There is an Arm version of the Plex server in development. However you still cant transcode video, Arm CPU's aren't remotely good enough for that.

The main things going for the Synology in my opinion are, nice GUI, Synology Hybrid RAID and Synology mobile apps. There's more features stuff on the Synology website like VPN, FTP, WebDAV, Cloud storage etc and check the live demo to see the GUI.

If your never going to touch the other features and just want a basic media dump then you can save your money.

PerfectBlue97

There is an Arm version of the Plex server in development. However you still cant transcode video, Arm CPU's aren't remotely good enough for that.

The main things going for the Synology in my opinion are, nice GUI, Synology Hybrid RAID and Synology mobile apps. There's more features stuff on the Synology website like VPN, FTP, WebDAV, Cloud storage etc and check the live demo to see the GUI.

If your never going to touch the other features and just want a basic media dump then you can save your money.

I use a couple of different VPNs regularly, so I know what they are and what they do, but I'm uncertain what you might want on for on a home NAS?

Aren't most of the features of a VPN already catered for in the file\media apps?

next010

Distinguished Member
Well Synology NAS are sold across the spectrum with the same core features in all the NAS so it's something more for businesses then home users but for some it might be useful depending on circumstances which synology outlines.

Last edited:

PerfectBlue97

Well Synology NAS are sold across the spectrum with the same core features in all the NAS so it's something more for businesses then home users but for some it might be useful depending on circumstances which synology outlines.

I think that I've just found a killer app.

PerfectBlue97

Don't keep us in suspense, what is the killer app?

My home from home is a place that's not known for its democratic value. So I've seen may share of Internet censorship.

If you plug one of these things in to the Internet in an EU country and then connect to it from elsewhere, you can use the Internet as if you were in the uncensored country.

larza

Standard Member
I have a synology NAS and played arround a bit with it.

Right now I have a setup that downloads new episodes for tv-shows automaticly (Sick beard) as well as a wishlist for future movie releases (couchpotato).

I also run crashplan and webserver,ftpserver and some more stuff..

burnrubber

I have a synology NAS and played arround a bit with it.

Right now I have a setup that downloads new episodes for tv-shows automaticly (Sick beard) as well as a wishlist for future movie releases (couchpotato).

I also run crashplan and webserver,ftpserver and some more stuff..

"Right now I have a setup that downloads new episodes for tv-shows automaticly (Sick beard) as well as a wishlist for future movie releases (couchpotato)."

Can you share how you do this? Thanks in advance..

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom