1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convince me!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Manster, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Manster

Manster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys!
    Our old Sherwood Amp, Yamaha sub, Monitor Audio fronts and cheap satellites have just about bitten the dust!
    On a fairly tight budget - up to £300 - I want to get an all-in-one system to link to my NTL cable box and JVC 28" widescreen tv. Our room is approx 14' x 11' - so not huge.
    My head is buzzing having looked at reviews and this forum for days on end.

Considering:
    Pioneer DCS-424
    JVC TH-S9
    Sony DAV-SC5

to name a few! :eek:
    I know that it would be worth stretching the budget to £400 for the Denon 500 - but I have to convince my rather sceptical husband of that. If he had his way he would spend less than £100 on a really bad system! Please help me to convince him that the Denon is the best way to go??
    Thanks
    :D

2. Kingmob04

Kingmob04
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems the consensus on here is 10 thumbs up for the Denon. For the money it seems to be the best budget 'all-in-one' on the market.

3. Happytab

Happytab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :cool: Not being at all sexist but most of the time it seems the men are trying to convince there wices rather than vice versa. Anyway - here's my 2p's worth. the only way to totally avoid dissapointment is too stretch your budget and get the best equipment you can afford. If you go bargain you will never be totally happy and will have regrets - like me :suicide:
    Also - if you don't buy the Denon and need some support from the people on this site you can forget it because your posts will ignored and no one will be able to help as they all own the denon :D

I am sure you can find someway to persuade your husband :rolleyes:

4. Manster

Manster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, Happytab - Yes, I know what you mean about it usually being the husband trying to persuade the wife - trouble is, in our household I'm the gadget freak (Computers, audio/video setup etc) and my husband is the one who tries to stop me spending money on the latest technology. It's a nightmare!
    Somehow I need to convince him that it will be value for money to stretch to the Denon!

5. Manster

Manster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Come on, guys!
    I need some of you to convince my husband - man to man - that the Denon is the better buy.
    Cheers

6. Zigster

Zigster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May not be the answer you're after but how about the Toshiba SD-44? I haven't seen it in action but it got a five star write up in What Hi-Fi and I've seen it for as little as £150. It's got a set of analogue audio inputs so you could presumably plug your cable box into that.

7. Strangerer

Strangerer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    C'mon Mansters hubby let her buy the DHT 500 . She'll promise she won't buy any gadgets for the rest of the year.. :laugh:

8. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Worth spending that extra on what is rated as the "Best Value" and "Best Performing" all-in-one by the press. You could look it at this way...the Denon's price tag of £400 gives you the performance of a £700+ system therefore you're actually spending less to get more.

9. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,036
    I've read nothing but excellent reviews for the Denon system - thinking of getting one meself for the bedroom.

10. Krance

Krance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know it's a bit excessive but i have one in the kitchen.... what a cracking little system

worth spending the money, even if it's for the downstairs toilet

11. hullupelle

hullupelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Denon 500 but if your husband is as tight as you say, then I'll opt for the toshiba sd-44hk.

12. Manster

Manster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi - thanks for your responses. :thumbsup:
    Have looked at the details of the Toshiba - but it doesn't appear to have Dolby Pro-Logic II which would be fairly vital as NTL don't have a digital audio output at present. Therefore I would need DPLII to decode Stereo sound. My husband seems to be coming round to the idea of the Denon - but very slowly.
    Have also heard about the new Philips LX8300SA - looks good on paper, but can't find any reviews - any ideas?
    hullupelle - it's not that he's tight - it's just that he doesn't get the need for decent sound and pictures. He just doesn't understand why I want to get the best sound etc. for the money when he'd be quite happy with just stereo sound from the tv! He can't even fathom our universal remote! I don't think there's much hope! :rolleyes:

13. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Had my 500 since Tuesday...best £400 I ever spent....Awesome sound and picture for the price and the build quality is fantastic. I looked at cheaper options but every one was a compromise in some way

As to what to say to your husband....a bit stuck. I mean...it just sounds too weird...a bloke? Not in to gadgets and shiney things? Bizzare ;)

There is always the extreme option...after all, husbands are two a penny....quality A/V is for ever.... :D

14. Adam Min

Adam Min

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I decided against the Denon (Couldn't stand the colour of the wood!) so went for the Pioneer DCS 424 - very very good system. :) :thumbsup:

15. MattyKHZ

MattyKHZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I would ask how much you pay on Sky. If you subscribe to movies etc you need a good system as listening is just as important as watching. Hence the need for the Denon. I'm going for the 550 or Teac Legacy but would advise on getting the 500 as it does seem to offer a lot for the future.

16. Manster

Manster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Adam - did you sound test both systems before you chose - or did you go entirely on the looks? Sound is really more important to me.

Unfortunately, I haven't found anywhere locally where you can actually sound test all-in-ones. The only places with sound test rooms are up-market hi-fi places who frown on the lower end of the market - so basically I'm just having to go on the reviews at the moment.

17. Adam Min

Adam Min

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My strategy was:

1. Forums like this
    2. Reviews on the web (Home Cinema Choice etc...)
    3. Going into local retailers (independents as well as the majors), looking at the build quality of the kit, getting them to play a couple of discs (not the same as a sound room I know but at least you get some idea)
    4. Deciding how it would all go into our front room
    5. And most importantly - the all important test - did the wife like the look of it !! lol :laugh:

I am pleased as punch with the Pioneer - but its all down to individual taste and preference - happy hunting.

18. Manster

Manster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A slight spanner in the works!

Have just found the Pioneer NS-DV99 - multi-region at Richer Sounds for £299. Gets great reviews and was originally £500. Any further ideas folks? Seem to be going round in circles again! Just when I thought I knew what I wanted...... some would say "typical woman!"......

19. Manster

Manster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Help!
    Just when I thought I had him convinced - he's backtracked and is now saying we'll pop to the Sony Centre and get a 'cheapy'. There must be something I can do to prove to him that this is a bad idea. Or is all lost?

I keep looking at other (cheaper systems) but know that the Denon is by far the best deal and that I will feel cheated if I get anything else.

:suicide:

20. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well, generally in this situation you've got to take a big gulp and offer to pay a larger share of the purchase....or in my case take the whole hit.

21. Manster

Manster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nathan,
    If only I hadn't agreed to a joint account all those years ago........ And I earn more than him!

22. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    What works best for me in these situations is buying the item as a present for my Girlfiend...

"Look what I got you darling, isnt it great?!?"

:thumbsup: Works every time

23. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Heh...just spotted the typo in that last post...I think I'll keep it, seems kinda appropriate :D

Seriously - you could try the False Economy method. It may be cheaper, but not if you have to replace it sooner due to it not being up to the job. The Denon will last years...

24. Manster

Manster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :thumbsup: Hey Guys,

Great news! Went to listen to the Denon this afternoon - it's amazing! The shop wouldn't match any web prices - so didn't buy there and then - but have ordered from Peter Tyson this afternoon and will receive my lovely new a/v system on Tuesday - can't wait.

Thanks for all your help. I'm sure it helped in convincing my husband (he's still not too happy about the price - but hey!)

Cheers again! :D :D :D

25. Strangerer

Strangerer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hooray.... :clap:
    Now, what's the next new gadget on the horizon ?...
    Watch out Manster's hubby....... :laugh:

26. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'll have to take a look at the Denon setup for my bedroom....