1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convince me why I should not cancel my preorders

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by rigman, Sep 26, 2005.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I have 2 x 360's ordered and could not wait until 2nd December.

However browsing around Woolworths yesterday i came across Doom 3 expansion pack on offer for 10 quid. I bought it and took it home loaded it up on my neglected for gaming (since half life 2, doom 3) PC with XP3200, 9800pro 1 gig etc etc.
    Cranked up the resolution on my 21inch monitor to 1600x1200 (I could not possibly even consider less than that) and it suddenly dawned on me...

Why on earth was I getting excited about a console that only outputs 1280x720 when my PC can eat it for breakfast..

So the question is what does the 360 give me that the PC cannot.

Should I cancell my preorders :confused: :confused:

cheers
    daz

2. milkmanchris

milkmanchris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    A couple of reasons i love the consoles more than the PC for gaming.

Put in a disc and it just works, no worries about the wrong graphics drivers or conflicts with anything else that the PC may be running.

The biggest winner for me is the whole party thing of playing games, you want a few freinds round what is better than a game of Forza on 42 inchs of plasma with 5.1 filling the room, and beers.

It just seems a little 'geeky' to be sat in the spare room or home office squinting to see the 21" monitor.

All imho of course.

3. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Well the creators of the stunning looking Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion have gone on record saying that the Xbox 360 version of the game is better than the high-end PC one simply because PC technology has yet to catch up. And show me a game on the PC that looks as stunning as Perfect Dark Zero or PGR 3. Worst still you'll never be able to play Kameo: Elements of Power if you only have a PC <shudders at the very thought>

Oh and the Xbox 360 is very capable of outputting 1920x1080i for some games remember?

4. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Play on your PC if you like. next year you can upgrade it again, then the year after that you can upgrade it again.

but if your a PC owner/player you wont see the logic. (took me 4 years to get off the treadmill.)

but hey if that what you want go for it. Its your money.

Gary

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    There will always be many many games on a console like the PS3 and 360 that will bever make it to the PC. (MGS, GT, PGR,)

Yes the PC is cutting edge but it also suffers from many issues. And for this I will always hate the PC! Also, PCs are 10 times more expensive than a new console.

If you were to try and build a PC with the same specs as a PS3 or 360 you would be paying at least 3000 dollars. Considering the GPU and CPU alone arent even really available yet. (or ever in terms of the 360/PS3 CPU)

Consoles are also really just plug in and play, compared to the PC that requires instalation, restarting, defraging, drivers, patches, Direct X...... need I go on?

And dont get me started on surround sound for PC games. Its either "The Creative way, or the high way" where as a console is a single optical cable to your amp and away we go!

6. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    1. Xbox Live
    2. It always works
    3. Stable framerates
    4. Xbox Live
    5. PGR3, Kameo, PDZ and countless other exclusive titles
    6. True plug'n'play
    7. Xbox Live
    8. Sociability
    9. Easy to pick up and play
    10. Oh, and did I mention Xbox Live?

7. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Oh and i forgot mention

XBOX LIVE!!!!!!!!

Lorenzini, thanks for reminding me :smashin:

Gary

8. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    11. No uber nerds banging on about framerate, trilinear filtering and other such stuff that doesn't matter
    12. option to whooop Munkey Boy

9. o THE CHAD o

o THE CHAD o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    and xbox live apparently........

10. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    and of course lets not forget the site of Razor in his yellow shorts when playing Links 2004 :D

Gary

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    All of the above are valid points, however one type of game that PC's will always rule the roost over is FPS'. You just can't get a better combo than keyboard & PC.

Unless I can plug in my existing PC & keyboard to the X360 or PS3, this is one area of gaming that I'll always prefer to play on the pc.

12. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Consoles and PCs are different beasts, the latest Zelda game won't come out on a PC and the latest Rome:Total War wont come out on a console

13. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Gary I can also wear yellow shorts on a pc. :D

I am a big pc fan but there ar certain things a console does better. As others have said consoles are truely plug and play and you never have to worry if your hard drive needs defragging or if you have the latest patch installed. You dont have to tune your graphics card to the right settings to get smooth reply, you also dont have one game prefering another graphics card because ATI or Nvidia paid them a ***** load to have their game run that way. Halflife 2 - ATI, Doom 3 - Nvidia.

The biggest attration for me is the xbox Live, it works so well and you can comunicate with others without having to set up an other voice program running in the background.

For me the only bad point about consoles was that the technology was always 3-4 years behind that of a pc on release day. However for the first time ever this will change in consoles favour and about time to. :smashin:

I personaly cant wait for the 360 to arrive. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

14. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    andf you can always defrag your hard drive while playing on Xbox Live (and you can still win all the skins and pretend you weren't really concentrating :D )

Gary

15. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

:D 16 skins out of 18 aint bad considering I was pre-occupied. :D

16. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    i noticed this quote straight away and i must play the devil here but that statement is not true what ever you like to believe. there are higher spec's than yours out at the moment and the xbox 360 will "eat" those as well. go get the demo of F.E.A.R and seee if you can crank up to 1600x1200 and see if it becomes a slideshow on the 9800 and thats not counting what eye candy you can put on. not having a go here just stating some truth.

main reason to get 360 is you get to play us nutters on xbox live :D

17. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    You should definately cancel your pre-orders m8.

That way, theres more chance of us lot picking up the 360 on release day! :clap:

18. Overlord69

Overlord69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Duly seconded, ParmMann. :D

19. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I wondered when someone would come out with that one. You have seen through my ploy. I was trying to spread doubt and get other people to cancel theirs so I had more chance of getting mine. :)

Seriously though I suppose the plug and play is good but the games are expensive compared to PC games.

Live, I have no interest in whatsoever and I think I have spent around 30 minutes on it in the last 6 months. I have enough trouble beating my kids at games never mind some person who lives and breathes gaming. Hopefully the new Live will be better.

Koppite I was talking about games I know at the moment I have not tried F.E.A.R

I do enjoy FPS though and I must admit to not enjoying them on my xbox due to the lack of accuracy. When I bought the xboxd I said I would never upgrade my PC again. Until doom 3 and half life 2 appeared and I relented once again.

I am not sure about no 11 though as it seems that a lot of the x vs y arguments seems to centre around meaningless specs about triangles and fill rates etc etc.

Thanks to all your contributions I have been convinced :lesson:

20. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    For many people here Live is one of the main reasons for owning/playing their xbox over their PS2(poor online) and PC's (no 'central service', friendslist etc) and i'm sure that its one of the main appeals of the 360. The new live system will have the same problems as the current one with finding likeminded or similar skilled players, but to try to solve this they have introduced various options to search for when looking for opponents eg if your a casual player you can search for similar, however this will only work if people apply the correct settings, eg no point in me putting 'casual' when i'm anything but that

21. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    A lot of people are bad losers though and will put 'casual' so they will be sure of being able to win all of the time. I feel sorry for my lad who is 10 when he is playing PES4 on live and gets beat time and time again. Anyone would get fed up of losing all of the time and it has go to the point where he does not bother any more.

22. bigriggers

bigriggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    With regard to the comment about playing serious gamers, remember that you can add like minded gamers to your friends list. Within a few weeks my Xbox Live friends list was full of people who were about the same level as me in most games, therefore whenever I played those people it was always a good fair game.

23. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Agreed. :smashin:

You can always play with Gary D (Firework) :oops:

24. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    he could be as good as the people he's playing against but could be losing because of the lag. For example the other week me and Lorenzini played 4 games of Pro Evo, he hosted all of them and won all 4 even though we are of a similar standard, then i hosted 1 game and surprise surprise i won. so in short get your son to Host not guest when playing Evo

25. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,013
    your PC eats it for breakfast on Doom 3, a game being ported to Xbox *1*

The Xbox 360 will eat your PC for breakfast, lunch and dinner on nearly any game bar those requiring a mouse/keyboard.

I'd bet you wouldn't be able to outstrip its potential with any PC built this year. Next year maybe.

Even then thats only tech specs, and you'd need someone to actually code a PC game to take advantage of it. There aren't actually many games that push PC technology.

26. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    I can't believe you're saying I only won because I was host Pooontang! Taking your hiding and live with it! ;) Seriously though, expanding on what Pooon was saying (before he embarrassed himself), the new Live will also have a rating system, meant to be Tivo or eBay-esque in that it works from thumbs-up thumbs-down feedback from other players. Live will then try and match you with other similar feedback rating players, so the days of being paired with annoying US teens are numbered if all goes according to plan.