1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convince me to buy a DS

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by loadsofleads, Jul 10, 2005.

1. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am unsure whether to buy a DS or not, the forthcoming Bomberman, Mariokart etc, really have me excited but with the PSP on the horizon I don't know what to do. Come on guys, yeeeiiii or neeeiii, what do you say ?

2. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Wait for a PSP :) That would be my honest opinion. I am not biased and I do own a PSP, and play on a DS too. However I dont honestly think the DS compares to the PSP.

On the other hand the DS is a nice little handheld, with the addition of a second screen (which is touch sensative too). It is a different little device

tris

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    It really depends on if you have the cash, and what you intend to use them for.

The PSP can be used to play movies, both from a memory stick and a umd. The PSP can also play mp3s and can view video. Games such as wipeout pure also have extra downloadable content and it is very nice indeed.

The DS is a great console, I happen to own both a DS and a PSP, and think that they are both worth owning, and have very different games.

Most of the DS games so far are 16 bit with some 3d touches, such as meteos and kirby, and PSP is all-out 3d.

The touch screen is quite tuitive and works well with kirby and the forthcoming nintendogs looks like, well the nintendogs ******** :D

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    I have considered buying a DS but everytime they put the Ridge Racer advert on TV I almost die of laughter! It looks shocking compared to the PSP version and whilst i'm sure that there are some good games on the machine I just can't see it competing with the PSP.

I'll stick with my PSP for now as IMO the likes of Lumines, Ridge Racer, Darkstalkers, Ape Escape and Wipeout keep me more than occupied when it comes to mobile gaming :smashin: .

5. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You should remember that Ridge Racer on the DS is a port of the N64 original wereas the PSP game is completely new (and much better) game.

Personally I chose the DS as it has some fantastic games coming out for it;

Kirby Canvas Curse
    Bomberman DS
    Meteos
    Castlevania
    Mario Kart
    Metroid
    Animal Crossing
    Viewtiful Joe
    Katamari Damacy
    Zoo Keeper
    Advance Wars DS
    Sonic Rush
    Electroplankton
    Nintendogs
    Another Code
    Daigasso - Band Brothers
    Final Fantasy
    Jump Super Stars
    Nanostray

6. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    The PSP has PES coming out for it though - mobile gaming heaven :thumbsup: .

7. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I'd go for the PSP. I've owned both, and the PSP seems to have games that are designed for longer experiences whereas the DS has games that are fun, but only for short periods (Wario Ware, Yoshi, Pac Pix etc). That or they're GBA ports (Star Wars Episode 3, Robots, The Urbz).

The DS has some good games coming out, but unless they take better advantage of the DS capabilities, I'll stick with the DS.

8. snake II

snake II

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    well the ds has outsold the psp even though it is the weaker system by a ratio o 2:1 according to one of the games sites, in Japan it has sold considerably well and in america, if the trend continues than europe will also see nintendo the champ.
    Everyone said the psp would kill the ds , how they were wrong, (haha) the psp looks great but its just doesnt have that touch that the ds has, yeah sure the games look great but that not why people are purchasing the console, look at the software charts almost every new ds release is in the charts wheras psp software hardly makes it to the charts.

anyway its up to you, personally I wont cough up the money for a handheld thats cost more than anything out there.

:lesson: anyone gonna give me a lesson of psp software ? I am just waiting for the psp fanboys to get vexed- even though I am no fan boy of any sort :hiya:

9. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys, I'm tempted with the DS, if only for Bomberman :smashin:
    The PSP's reputed high price is a turn off, I'll pop into woollies at the weekend and decide on the spot I think :thumbsup:

10. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    when does the psp come out?
    i thought they were a way off??

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    Supposed to be September in the UK I think. They've been available on import since the start of the year though (got mine in March).

It's a great piece of kit as well - easily the gadget of the year for me and it's in a different league to every other handheld out there (DS included) IMO :smashin: .

12. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    well mario kart is online so that might help you choose ;)

just imagine 4 player battle mode online! oh my i cant wait :) also meteos is a excellent puzzle game and ive heard many good things about touch kirby.

think about it. either spend the money on the next xbox 360 or a psp, your choice :p

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    Indeed, but the best video game ever created IMO (Pro Evo) is coming to PSP ;) . Multiplayer Mario Kart is great fun though.

14. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    In a perfect world, I would get both but since I'm a student.... :rolleyes: ......I'll get things I want in this order: PSP, iAudio X5 (mp3 player) then a DS

15. Kube

Kube

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +362
    Ive owned both a to be honest i thought the PSP was a shallow experience. DS everytime mate.

16. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    :eek: The only thing that is shallow about the PSP is the physical depth of the console ;) .

Why are people even comparing these two consoles - they are simply not even in the same league. I guess you have to ask one simple question - Would you buy an N64 or a current gen console (either PS2, X-Box or GC)? If you'd rather buy an N64 then the DS is your bag. If in this analogy you prefer a current gen console then the PSP is the one you should go for. :smashin:

17. Kube

Kube

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +362
    But at the end of the day the PSP offers nothing new gameplay wise. If you have owned a PS or PS2 then why would you want a PSP? Handhelds are about quick pick up and plays IMO not about waiting 5 mins for TigerWoods to finally load up.

The PSP looks fantastic, granted, but the games are shallow and short lived experiences. Lumines is a great title but the rest are a crock of ****.

Your argument is flawed about the N64. I still play my SNES nevermind N64 and Megadrive. If you want nothing but graphics go for the PSP, if you want something that is trying to offer new ideas and gameplay then buy a DS.

18. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The DS is a highly innovative piece of kit. Wario ware, bomberman etc. put a smile on my face every time I play them. Great stuff.

If you can afford to own both the PSP & DS, you should. Probably the best advice I can give you!!

19. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Everybody's Golf is great on PSP

20. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    I wouldn't say so - both Ridge Racer and especially Wipeout are fantastic IMO. Hot Shots is also supposed to be superb but i've not played this one yet.

Not sure why everyone thinks that the DS is so innovative :rolleyes: . OK so it's got s touch screen but that's more a gimmick than innovation in my eyes. Whilst the odd game actually uses it in an interesting way, the majority just seem to include the feature for the sake of it. Dual screens - i'd rather have 1 big screen personally as this gives more felxibility - you can still split a big screen but you can't form the two split screens into one seemless screen. The DS isn't a bad console and has some good games on it. If Sony hadn't come along then I guess people would be wowed by the DS but instead there's only one handheld with the wow factor.

21. MattDX

MattDX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    If you want to talk short lived - look at the DS. Project Rub, there's about 8 hours gameplay max in that title. The psp had a very strong launch lineup and the UK launch is even stronger. The DS had a very poor launch lineup but there are some very exciting titles on the way.

I am a psp owner but am very tempted by a DS at the moment as there are some titles I really want to get my hands on (nintendogs, castlevania, pac-pix) but as much as the gameplay innovates on the DS there are certain things that are quite laughable - Ridge Racer DS for instance. Awful graphics, terrible clipping / collision detection and a very dubious control system (unless you use the D pad). Ninty are pushing this as an arcade racer yet it looks even worse than RR1 did in the arcade and thats about 15 years old now. The psp however delivers the arcade experience by the bucket load.

All in all I see the handhelds as different beasts. If you want a portable playstation then buy a PSP you won't be dissapointed - there are games there that you can play for hours at a time (MGA, Hot Shots Golf). The DS on the other hand has games that you really could only get on that system it showcases Nintendos attempts to put the fun back into games rather than just more polygons per second. However the current roster of games seems very pick up and play, quick hit games. This will change with time once we start to get some DS rpgs.

22. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I have owned project rub and warioware on the DS. Between them there is 5 hours of gameplay. That is the main gripe. Another code is a fantastic game, but again only has about 4 hours of gameplay. The story is the same for kirby as well on the DS.

It seems that Nintendo aren't interested in that though. The only game with substantial depth of gameplay is Mario 64 DS, and that is the main reason why all the DS games so far score a max of 8/10.

I have had Wipeout Pure on my PSP since March and still play on it on a daily basis. It is fantastic for a quick race, and a perfect handheld game IMO. The fact that there are two downloadable packs including new racetracks and ships completments the game superbly. :thumbsup:

23. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    I agree GG - Personally I think that Wipeout Pure is superb and is the best fun i've had on a handheld consoel to date. :smashin:

24. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,417
    TBH my DS is gathering dust at the mo while I play Hot Shots on my PSP. But I wouldn't consider trading in my DS as I'm sure there are gonna be some true must-have titles on it by the end of the year, as with alot of the most wanted PSP titles, it's a waiting game :boring:

Oh, ZooKeepers is a great little underated gem IMO, my girlfriend has it and it occasionaly finds it's way into my DS, just to get my name to the top of the screen of course ;)

As several people have sugested, personaly I'd try to get both consoles if you can afford, there WILL be classic games for both handhelds.

25. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    I get the 'angle' of both consoles.....

DS with twin screens, one a touch screen. I can imagine Metroid DS. Stylus to look, tap to shoot. Left shoulder button to jump. D-pad to move. Genius? sounds like it. I'm of the PC mouse - control FPS fan.

I've also managed to have a go on Kirby DS, Bomberman DS and Wario Ware DS. Brilliant FUN.

Unfortunately I believe Nintendo scrimped on materials to offer a £99 price tag. I mean its sturdy, and I don't think it'll break. My original green screen gameboy still works :D What I mean is it looks like a ford next to the aston martin PSP.

The PSP with its PS2 graphics. Black is the new white. Movies and music. In one package. I'd just want a PSP for the games + movies on the go - I have a MP3 player for music.

Its just that the PSP oozes style and attraction. Would it have worked if Nintendo forgot about the bank balance and decked the DS in a expensive looking, not necessarily costing, finish like the PSP?

Edit: Sony calling Nintendo's bluff? They know they can't get s PSP any lower than say realistically £150? So a £180 price tag is deliberate for the 18-30 target audience? You know, killer looks, desirable - but you pay for what you get....DS may be cheaper but....

P.S call me nostalgic, but Zelda minish cap and Astro Boy on GBA were 2D games, but one of the best games I've ever played.

Not that I'm against 3D. If the PSP doesn't just get PS2 conversions, that may influence my decision which to get 1st.

I will get both - just that I'll get the other next year - to a year and a 1/2. Price of being a student :)

26. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    LFC, if you are skint go for the ds, as ds games are £25, and psp games will be £40 in game et al come september :rolleyes:

27. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    no I'm not skint skint....I could raid my bank account....a PSP value pack plus 2 games, screen protector, extra batt pack, a 512mb/1gb MS, plus some job money....I'd still have a 3 figure sum in the bank...just :rolleyes:

Edit: speaking to a Game salesman, he said £34.99 for games. Plus I have an NUS card with 10% discount on non console stuff

28. Smegaman

Smegaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why would someone wanting an N64 instead of a current gen console find the DS more their bag than someone wanting a current gen console? The DS is the best thing to happen to gaming since last generations consoles hit the shelves and textured 3D gaming was a reality in the home. The fact that it also has the best lineup of any system for the coming year helps to highlight this coupled with the fact that most of it's killer apps simply aren't possible on any other console.

If you want to play the same games you already play on your PS2/Xbox/GC with much inferior graphics (yes they aren't a patch on home console graphics and thats before the generation gap kicks in with the 360 debut in november) on the move, then by all means get a PSP, but I'm getting sick and tired of what is ultimately lies about how much more advanced the PSP really is and how pointless the DS is yes it can push a few more polygons round but no that doesn't make jack difference to how the games actually play and time and time again the DS games are miles ahead of the PSP games when it comes to actual gameplay, u remember that? the reason people started gaming in the first place before it became a willy waving fest as to who could get the most polygons onto the screen at once. Personally I'm getting fed up of the same old same old and the DS lineup is a breath of fresh air on a stale games market.

Now when the start getting some proper games onto the PSP, I'm sure it'll be a totally different story, but for now there is no handheld war, the DS cleans up instantly, I think the fact that it's outselling the PSP 2-1 in Japan and already over 1 million units ahead sums it all up. It's suffering from a lack of quality games and Sony knows it.

29. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    uh all great points but not all of us have a home console. I stopped after the nes/megadrive/snes/PS days. I'm happy gaming on my PC. Unfortunately due to money constraints I'm unable to continue upgrading components just to play the latest games......

e.g downloaded demo for Star Wars Lego PC after reading Edge review....promptly followed by a message: This game requires a graphics card that supports vector shading. What the ____ is vector shading?!

So....I would actually appreciate nice eye candy from PSP games. I do appreciate gameplay as well - thats why I still play Sonic on my megadrive!

30. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    Just put in a good session on the PSP as it happens with a spot of Ridge Racer. It's a superb little console with some great games and when the likes of Gran Turismo and PES come out on it will hardly get put down!

At the end of the day I could easily buy a DS but for me handheld gaming has evolved and grown up with the PSP and I for one couldn't go back. If you consider the fact that you can watch films, listen to music, watch MP4 video, store data files, use homebrew software, view photos and browse the web (although not officially as yet) on the PSP as well, then there is only one handheld for me.

To me the DS is a kids toy where as the PSP is a quality multimedia device which also offers the most advanced handheld gaming action that money can buy. That's my view and I don't expect it to be everyones and at the end of the day it's each to their own. :smashin: