1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convince me I need another subwoofer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Stewart C, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Denon THX Ultra 11SR Amplifier. M&K s-85 fronts and ss-150THX rears. I have a relatively small VX-100 subwoofer.

The THX specification says two subwoofers. My mate has got two and it sounds brilliant. But so does my system, except not quite so much bass, but that could be down to the way he sets it up.

What enhancement would two subwoofers bring considering the LFE has to be set to 75db for all bass. It won't make it any louder that's for sure

Cheers

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Quality not quantity.

I demo'ed your sub several years ago when I bought my Rel Storm. I always regretted not buying it as I could never get a second Storm easily but I could get another M and K. I have gone the dual sub route with another manufacturer nw but would urge you to stop thinking about it and just but another M and K.:)

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I added a second REL Strata III and, as Nic mentioned, the improvement was mainly in quality, better sound dispersion and lower bass, recomended...

4. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    i have a vx100 and it rocks! it may be small but it is certainly wife freindly and it don't half shift air! i have just moved house and my cinema room is now twice the size as it used to be. I am possibly looking to sell it to get a MX350, reply if your interested

5. RC

RC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From an acoustics perspective, the advantage of having a second sub which is placed in a different part of the same room is that it fills-in the natural hole in the acoustics range, that every room has.

A room can have a deadspot for sound, as in location, but a room also has a deadspot in frequencies, ie. a portion of the sound range which gets cancelled out by the acoustics of the room. I'm merely repeating what I have read, and am probably doing a bad job of explaining it.

Subs suffer because many rooms have flatspots around 50 to 60hz. By placing a second sub in the room, that particular frequency range doesn't dip as much, and so you get to hear the whole frequency range of the sub(s) without the flatspot. Err, I think ;)