Converting .ts files for smart TV

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by smallieboy, Mar 7, 2013.

1. smallieboy

smallieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an aged Humax 9200T that I have downloaded some films from (so I could reformat the HD). The films are now on an external hard drive and when I try to play a couple of them, either via a USB connection or wirelessly using Servio, they appear in a square screen that compresses the image at the sides.

I'm trying to play them on a LG 32in HD TV and just about everything else plays in the standard (widescreen) format. I've also played these on my PC and in every player I've tried they appear OK.

Oddly, if I load them into Avidemux, they also appear in the square box - see attached image.

I've tried various converters to try to get them back to the normal 'format' but with no success.

Any ideas[​IMG]
    ?

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,113
    My guess is something screwy with the aspect ratio details embedded within the video stream.

Try running the video through Handbrake with high profile preset and see if it comes out widescreen afterwords. Drag and drop in, select high profile and click start.

If it doesn't then select high profile preset.
    * on picture tab under size set anamorphic to custom.
    * by default the aspect ratio is preserved.
    * with keep aspect ratio enabled the display width setting is what you can change to stretch it out, try 1024 if this is SD video or use the preview option in Handbrake to find something your happy with.

If you cant find anything your happy with or Handbrake doesn't get the right aspect ratio then disable keep aspect ratio and this will enable PAR width & height, this allows full control over the video resolution, like 1024x576 is PAL widescreen.

3. smallieboy

smallieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic!!

Thanks next010 - worked like a dream.

I'll keep Handbrake and have uninstalled all the products that failed