1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting speakers to in-ceiling??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by DarrenH, Apr 3, 2005.

1. DarrenH

DarrenH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have two Tannoy Saturn S8C's with 8" Dual concentrics. Wondered if anybody has stripped standalone speakers and put them in the ceiling? I have also posted about this in the speaker section, but getting no joy there!

Basically, I bought these for £60 each (along with another three!) to upgrade from my Tannoy M2's, but thet will be too large as rear surrounds. I do not want to spend £200 for each additional speaker to match the three fronts.

They will be going into a new build ceiling - so it will be possible to box them in.

Any suggestions appreciated. :smashin:

2. DarrenH

DarrenH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Apparently the answer is yes! I'll try to keep the boxing-in volume the same as the current cabinets, but it should work............

3. DarrenH

DarrenH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    By the way... I hate talking to myself :rotfl:

4. banners

banners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Have you tried hanging them as close as possible to your desired position to see/hear if they suit? It's just that they may be massively off axis and the frequency response will be??? This may be detrimental or may work to your advantage.
    Try before putting holes in the ceiling :D would be my advice. It may be that you mount them at an angle between the ceiling and wall if mounting in the corner. Any piccys may help suggestions flow ie location etc.
    Right, talk to yourself, it may be the only way to get any sense :rotfl:

Steve

5. tonymotty

tonymotty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Idea.....how about having the speakers hinged to drop below the ceiling and have them pointing sideways to bounce the sound off the side walls...so the sound appears to be coming from the side walls....rear centre speaker could point backwards.There should be 8" or more depth beneath plaster and floor above...use loft hatch catches...push to open,push to close...would be like mini loft hatch in ceiling with a speaker sitting on it.I plan on a dropped ceiling with crt projo and speakers concealed within....i will raise the ceiling in front of projo to expose lenses!!...
    I do not think speakers pointing vertically down at ground mounted in ceiling will give a sound field at ear level...hence bounce off wall...
    Tony

6. DarrenH

DarrenH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Tony / Steve

Thanks for responding... there's me thinking I was going mad!

Firstly, I will only be using 5.1 (5 off Tannoy Saturns S8Cs and a sub TBA). I was thinking along the same lines as Steve, as stripping and re-mounting sounds like a lot of work with huge c:oops:-up potential!

Mounting the rear speakers up in the ceiling pointing towards the back wall sounds interesting though! Have you, or anyone else, had experience with this? I know the new Yamaha speaker works on this principle and sounds ok, but will I need to delay the signal etc..?

Darren

7. tonymotty

tonymotty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Delay depends on distance between ear and speaker...inc bounce i think...unless have a self calibrating mic and fancy av amp.Not tried it..yet........cannot wait for dolby digital headphones....that work. Tony.