Question Converting sound bar to center channel

Discussion in 'DIY Speaker & Subwoofer Building' started by mpfjr, Jan 22, 2018.

1. mpfjr

mpfjr
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an LG SJ8 sound bar on the bottom of my LG TV. The problem with this soundbar is that it can't get the audio synced with the video. I tried a different brand of sound bar and there are no issues with it. So I am reasonably sure the sound bar is the problem.

On top of that I want ATMOS which this sound bar can't do. So I bought a Yamaha 683 AVR and now I am shopping for speakers.

What occurred to me was using the shell of the sound bar with its existing speakers as a center channel since it fits so nice under my TV and looks classy. Also the sound was pretty good I thought.

So I took it apart and measured the resistance of each speaker.

The sound bar is split right and left with speaker "modules" on each extreme end. Which is great!

On the furthest outside there is a .75" tweeter that is 6 ohms. I disconnected it and measured with my digital multi meter at 5.3 ohms of resistance. So I am assuming that it is a 6 ohm speaker. Then there are two rectangle speakers that are wired in parallel. Each speaker is 8ohm on its own but 4 ohm at the plug.

The tweeter is a seperate set of wires. So I find this interesting that they would mix 6ohm tweeters with 8/4 ohm drivers.

So the way I see it I have 6 speakers to deal with and a center channel would have only one channel. So all 6 speakers would operate as one.

This is where my understanding falls apart. I don't know where to go next.

How do I wire these up?
    So the native orientation in ohms is( 6, 8, 8), (8, 8, 6) where current wiring configuration is (6,4), (4,6).

I was just looking at this site: How to hook up speakers correctly for proper impedance and there seems to be some good information there as well as a formula that may help. Now I just need to understand it.

From what I understand from that formula I have .125 x 4 and .166 x 2 = .5 + .33 = .83 which I have to divide into 1 which is 1.20 ohms. Which of course is too far from where I need to be.

Also would I need a crossover?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  2. felix991

felix991
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it no one ever answered you on this? Because I had the same want. I have a really nice Onkyo SoundBar that fits perfect and matches the rest of the eq and I too took mine apart and got about the same measurements, the only conclusion I could come up with was create my own crossover and run it off the power amp from the receiver by-passing all the internal circuitry.

I really like this sound bar instead of some others I have tried because it very clear on the voices and I can hear the dialog better than others. (I have a living room and a movie room) but it's really a size thing. I can not fit any other speaker setup in my current cabinet.

If I try to use the soundbar in conjunction with the 7.1 stereo even feeding the signal off the output of the receiver to the SB, I get a terrible delay between the two amps that will not stay in sync no matter what I try and set. So the answer was as you posted.

If you ever came up with any ideas, please let me know.