Converting Sony DVDs to Mac readable format.

ChrisHinton56

Novice Member
Hi all.
I would be really grateful for advice on an issue that has been driving me mad. I have a number of old (around 15 years) family DVDs that were originally recorded on my Sony Video camera and then transferred to DVD using a Sony DVD recorder. The DVD title is "Sony_dvd_recorder_volume" and it seems to contain two folders - "VIDEO_RM" and "VIDEO_TS". There are a number of files in each folder with extensions .bup, .ifo, .vob, .dat. I can play the DVDs through the Sony DVD recorder/player but I cannot get them to load on my Mac. I am trying to convert them to send copies to my kids that can be played on their laptops.

Please can someone advise me on how they can be loaded onto a MacBook (OS Big Sur v11.1) and how they can then be converted to a generally readable format.

Thanks in advance.
Chris

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not a mac user so take this with as much salt as to your taste.

An app called Handbrake is free and has a Mac version. If those are DVD-Video discs (and the described file/folder structure suggests they are) then this will interrogate the disc and list the titles on it. Note: that does not necessarily correspond with the .vobs. See below. You will need the entire disc contents (so, not just the .vobs) somewhere the app can get at them (whether on a DVD drive, or copied onto the HDD/SSD in the computer, so it can work out what the actual titles (as opposed to the .vobs) are. HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder

You can then choose all or some of those titles an it will re-encode them each into a single complete video file, which should play on anything (depending on which codec you use; H264 is fairly commonly "understood").

It's perhaps worth noting that on a DVD-Video disc, depending on the contents and how it was authored (and I can't comment on how your recorder did that), the .vob files don't necessarily correspond 1:1 with content titles, so using a more direct approach to converting .vobs may produce output files which are partial originals or composites of (bits of) several.

Last edited:

ChrisHinton56

Novice Member
I'm not a mac user so take this with as much salt as to your taste.

An app called Handbrake is free and has a Mac version. If those are DVD-Video discs (and the described file/folder structure suggests they are) then this will interrogate the disc and list the titles on it. Note: that does not necessarily correspond with the .vobs. See below. You will need the entire disc contents (so, not just the .vobs) somewhere the app can get at them (whether on a DVD drive, or copied onto the HDD/SSD in the computer, so it can work out what the actual titles (as opposed to the .vobs) are. HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder

You can then choose all or some of those titles an it will re-encode them each into a single complete video file, which should play on anything (depending on which codec you use; H264 is fairly commonly "understood").

It's perhaps worth noting that on a DVD-Video disc, depending on the contents and how it was authored (and I can't comment on how your recorder did that), the .vob files don't necessarily correspond 1:1 with content titles, so using a more direct approach to converting .vobs may produce output files which are partial originals or composites of (bits of) several.
Thanks very much Nigel. I haven't tried Handbrake and will do so. Best wishes.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom