1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting SACD to DTS CD

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Branxx, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am a great fan of Pink Floyd and have bought the new SACD surround version of 'Dark Side of the Moon'. Unfortunately I don't own SACD player.

Does anyone know of a professional service that can convert SACD into a DTS encoded CD?

2. letitbleed

letitbleed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't think it's possible,anyway probably cheaper buying an SACD player anyway.
    Definitley worth it for 'Dark Side...',it's an awesome 5.1 mix

3. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I come across a company in Us that does audio conversion of various kinds. For example this is their price list for converting old QUAD LP records to DTS CD. Prices start from $31.95 up to $58.95 depends of the type of service.

They don't list SACD to DTS CD conversions on their web site but I'll send them a message.

As for purchasing SACD or DVD-Audio, I'll wait until digital output becomes available. For now and considering ultra-small number of SACD/DVD-A titles available that would be of interest, I am quite happy to pay extra £30 to have them converted.

I have several originally issued DTS CD and their quality is excellent, well above the ordinary CD. I am expecting no loss of quality due to conversion.

4. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I found and ordered my SACD transfer of Dark Side of the Moon from a person in the US. He does it for $10 + PP. I'll let you know the result once I receive the disk.

5. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    It is possible to do the conversion but is pretty complicated. Check out Doom 9 for more details. Problem is you need a piece of software called Surecode Pro DTS encoder and that costs a fortune but you may be lucky and find it on emule or edonkey

6. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My DTS converted 'Dark Side of the Moon' 30 year anneversary edition arrived today and went into a CD player without the delay.

I listened and comared it with the 2-channel version found on the SACD and it is very plesant improvement. The multichannel does work very well for PinkFloyd.

The quality of the ripped and DTS encoded SACD is excellent. It is more musical and complete comparing to the 2-channel track.

In conclusion, this exercise worked for me. I can now enjoy the SACD release without having to use SACD. Tracks are now ripped to my on-line music library and the CD is safely deposited to the deep storage.

I've paid $10 + PP for conversion. I think the person used Sound Forge audio editor to record 6 channels from SACD onto WAV and SurCode cdPro DTS to encode into DTS. DTS CD are streaming at 1,536Kbits/sec. This is twice the rate of DTS soundtracks on DVD ensuring maximum audio quality. It is practically lossless.

7. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For those interested in Pink floyd DTS transfers I have posted a review here.

8. Stuart M. Robinson

Stuart M. Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    “I’ve paid $10 + PP for conversion. I think the person used Sound Forge audio editor to record 6 channels from SACD onto WAV and SurCode cdPro DTS to encode into DTS.”

All of which is illegal.

“DTS CD are streaming at 1,536Kbits/sec.”

No. DTS on the equivalent of a CD (they’re not CD’s as they don’t conform to the red-book) is, or should be 1,234.8kb/s.

“This is twice the rate of DTS soundtracks on DVD ensuring maximum audio quality. It is practically lossless.”

There are a great many 1.5Mb/s DTS DVD titles, and what’s more, 1,234.8kb/s is nowhere near being “practically lossless”, that’s like saying there is no loss in 128kb/s MP3.

Two channels of 44.1kHz 16-bit PCM runs at 1.411kb/s. If we consider SACD to offer similar performance to 96kHz 20-bit PCM, then the data rate required for six uncompressed channels would be in the region of 14Mb/s. What you’ve got is a compression ratio in the region of 12:1, which is not even remotely approaching being “lossless”.

Stuart M. Robinson
    SMR Group – http://www.smr-group.co.uk/

9. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think to give an accurate impression, Branxx, you need to have heard the SACD to be able to compare it to your 'DTS' version. Correct me if I'm wrong, but how can you tell if your new version is as good as the genuine SACD? All you're comparing it with is the standard two channel stereo mix.

Do yourself, and the music, a favour, mate, and go out and get a SACD player. They're not that dear, in fact, if you're in the market to also update your DVD, you can get a Sony DVPNS705S , which will play DVD, SACD, DVD-A, MP3, and just about everything else, for well under £200!

10. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Simon6776,

You were to quick with your comment without checking my comment the two posts above. My comparison with genuine SACD player is here.

This thread is not about SACD vs. DTS CD, but about a flexibility to listen the same piece of music using different delivery platforms and how to avoid the loss of audio quality.

If a person like me does not own SACD or if you have a DTS enabled car audio system, the solution does not always have to be 'do yourself a favour and buy XYZ'.

Stuart M. Robinson,

I maintain my entire music on an HTPC using loss-less compression. It effectively streams between 600-750kbs. If DTS is streaming at double that rate it is for practical purposes 'as if loss-less'.

However, it is not mathematically loss-less and in principal I agree with you point. As it is not possible to digitally rip a SACD, this is as close as one can get and be able to play it using standard equipment.

I was not expecting much from this conversion but the results did pleasantly surprise both Uncle Eric and me. I would be certainly happy to lend you my disk if you wish to hear it with your own ears.

I don’t want to turn this into a legalistic copyright argument but I have taken reasonable steps to satisfy myself that I am comfortably within what is generally considered acceptable under the private/non-commercial use policy.

11. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33

Oops! Sorry Branxx, missed the link. :blush:

12. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Simon6776,

I took this exercise as genuine research project and make good efforts to compare it using the well setup system that includes SACD player and the trained ears of a friend that I trust.

PS. Especially considering that there is about 100miles round trip between Uncle Eric and me.

13. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well, it's a shame there has to be different formats. There seems to be more DVD-As available than SACDs, so I wonder if SACD is destined to become the Betamax of the audio world?

14. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wish the industry make much fuller use of DTS CD before jumping into new formats that require new hardware with reduced usability.