1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting RM or AAC music files to MP3

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by vosyem, Jun 25, 2005.

1. vosyem

vosyem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know a way of changing real player audio files, AAC music files or mpeg4 audio files to mp3 or Atrac-3? I ask this because sonicstage / HD3 is not compatable with rm, AAC or mpeg4 audio files.

2. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be interested in that too - specifically Mpeg4 to MP3 so I can then import into SonicStage

3. WozzaUK

WozzaUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
  4. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As long as the AAC files are not DRM protected (ie, not bought on the iTunes Music Store), then iTunes (which is free) will convert them to mp3. If they are DRM protected, then - as WozzaUK says - HYMN is the best bet to convert them first to unprotected, then iTunes to convert them to mp3. Note that any conversion from one lossy format to another will result in lower quality results.

RM files aren't so easily converted to mp3. The best bet might be to use an audio utility that captures the played files output from RealPlayer and saves this as mp3. Not ideal, but it works.

5. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I'm off work for a while post an operation so I'm doing it disk by disk. This way I get Atrac3 at 128 kbps and gapless playback. I'll be sure to use JHymn to convert the stuff I've bought from iTunes though so I can listen to them on my Sony. Thanks for the tips guys.

6. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PM for you, braehead

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    Mick's Cat - it might be worth you putting the details for converting files to another type in iTunes into the iTunes hints and tips thread - it was you who first made us aware of this process :)

8. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will do.