1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting old photos to digital

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by jmjm, Apr 16, 2003.

1. jmjm

jmjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am looking to get all my old format photos transferred to a digital format so I can store all my photos on my PC and online albulm. They are a mixture of 35mm photos (some with negatives, some without) and slides. Can anyone offer any advice as to what my options are? I'd rather buy the equipment to do it myself as it wil be expensive to get them done by Jessops etc.

I understand that I could scan the photos directly where there are no negatives and buy a negative scanner (?) for better quality from the negatives. What about the slides? Is there an all in one type device (scanner/printer etc)?

Thanks

2. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I would look at something like the Epson Perfection 1650 which will do all the scanning you require. It comes with the driver software and (I think) Elements. I would suggest that if you don't get Elements (made by Adobe) go buy it, it's a cut down version of photoshop and is superb.

I would even entertain the idea of a mulit function unit. Quite simply because they are multi-function they cannot give as good performance as a dedicated unit. Have a look at the Epson Printer range - not the very bottom, but something around £100-£150 will do the print job a treat!

And, no, I don't work for Epson, always been a fan of their products and hate HP! :)

Collin

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Jessops do a negative slide scanner for £199 the 1800AFL there is even a £120 budget version of it.

Agree with minimad. Also like Hifi its easier to upgrade if you buy seperates. If anything goes wrong with an all in one you lose everything. I just got a canon lide30 flatbed that is ultraslim and stands on its side so no desk footprint. Only £60. I would recommend that as a flatbed.

Would also recommend avoiding epsom printers as they have chipped cartridges meaning you cant fill em yourself and you cant buy 3rd party substitutes (sorry minimad). Their printer cartridges are expensive.

I need to be called canon boy as Id recommend canon and go for one with seperate colour ink cartridges. I pay £5 for canons own ink cartridges and when one colour goes I replace a single colour rather than changing the traditional £20 triple colour cartridge.

canon scanner, canon SLR, canon digicam and canon printer, Im starting to look biased!!!!!!!

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I use the Canon CanoScan D1250U2 flatbed scanner that has an attachment for scanning slides & negs. This scanner is supplied with Adobe Photoshop Elements and a USB 2.0 card.
    This will not be as good as a dedicated neg/slide scanner, but a lot cheaper and gives very good results as long as you don't want to print A3 images from your scans (well it might be ok but I've never tried).
    Like nunew33 I am a bit of a Canon fan. I also have the Canon S900 printer and a Canon S30 digicam (but we wont mention the Minolta Dimage 7 here :D ). They may not be the cheapest, but they are good value.

Mark.

5. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Canon Boy :D

No need to apologise, it's people's personal preference. I don't use refills, never had much luck with them and they've killed two of my printers with ink drying in the nozzles. The second dried out within about 4 days of refilling. (I've currently got the older Stylus 760 which can be refilled). I do however user the 3rd party ink as a friend gets them for free for me. Ink cartridges (as well as many other things I tend to buy (OEM) from MX2.com as this brings the price down considerably, especially when ordering with friends or family.

Do you know if the Jessops film scanner will do 120 Roll Film (6x4.5) negs and slides? I'm about to purchase a medium format camera and my scanner has all but had it.

Epson boy :D