Converting my music collection

J0hnEast0n

Hello lads n ladies, first post :)

Right, I have an oldish 20gb iPod photo with about 4000songs on it...its gonna burst at the seams and day!! So im lookin to convert my library on itunes from mp3 to aac, because you get the same quality for less space. The problem is I dont want to lose my playcounts and recently added music etc. I dont have any of the cd's anymore as i usually sell them on ebay after i have ripped them, make a few pennies back :)

Anyone know a way around this?

Cheers,

John

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Firstly, selling CD's after you have ripped them and kept a copy is illegal and is no different from file sharing, or any other form of piracy. You should delete them.

Secondly, converting MP3 to AAC really damages sound quality, the AAC will sound worse and won't take up much less space anyway. You get the (very small) benefits of using AAC over MP3, you will have to re-rip the CD - which you have sold - unlucky ;)

J0hnEast0n

I dont believe in any of the file sharing things, dont use them and never will! But thanks for your advice anyway, i didnt realise it was breaking the law. Cheers :thumbsup:

Most of the cd's are with my brother and a few friends so i think i can get over half back.

So its best to rip them again to aac rather then convert the mp3 file?

Thanks again...

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
No, whats probably best is to leave the rips as they are, and just get a bigger capacity ipod.... If you have 4000 songs on a 20gb iPod, then a 60gb will see you get about 12000, or an 80gb about 16000.... Get a bigger iPod, transfer over your current rips, then continue adding to it....

J0hnEast0n

Yes that was an option, but im trying to hold out untill the new video comes out, apparently next month. I will just get the highest capacity when that comes out, make it future proof :)

Cheers for the help guys :)

Boycie99

Standard Member
the_slug asked for some advice... Not for someone to tell him off for selling his cd's
Uridium really who he sells and how he sells his cd's are none of your business.
If you havent got anything positive to post you should really get back to your homework

Uridium

Distinguished Member
the_slug asked for some advice... Not for someone to tell him off for selling his cd's

Uridium really who he sells and how he sells his cd's are none of your business.

If you havent got anything positive to post you should really get back to your homework

Firstly, Remember the forum rules you read and agreed to when you joined? specifically the large section regarding Piracy?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/view.php?pg=rules

If the OP has sold his CD's and hasn't purchased the music from a legitimate download site he no longer legally owns the music on his iPod.

Secondly your post is a borderline breach of Rule 1, Any further posts insulting moderators or members will see you receiving infractions.

Thirdly being in my mid thirties I finished all my homework some years ago :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom