Converting my HTPC to a HTPC/Server

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by colicab, Feb 1, 2014.

1. colicab

colicab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like the title says, I build a budget HTPC 2 years ago. For storage, I use a QNAP NAS.
    I was thinking for a while to build my own server, so I thought about merging my server build with my current HTPC.

These are the relevant HTPC components:
    CPU/GPU: Intel Pentium G850 Sandy Bridge Dual-Core 2.90Ghz
    Memory: 4GB RAM
    Motherboard: P8H61-M PRO
    Power: 500 Watts (don't know the exact model)
    (Case: Antec Fusion Remote)

Together with these components I would like to build this:
    Case: Sharkoon T9
    HDD Bays: 2x Sharkoon SATA QuickPort Intern 4 Bay V2
    RAID Controller: HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL
    HDD: 8x HGST 7K400
    Extra small HDD for OS

For the moment the HTPC is a Win7, but combining it with the server I'm probably going to use a Linux distro and run XBMC as media center.

Any thoughts on this build?
    • Can CPU handle this? I mean managing a RAID-5 24TB array while playback on XBMC? Or might I need an additional GPU/Graphics Cards?
    • And what about expansion? I still have 3 5.25" bays left, space to add another SATA QuickPort. Again, I don't know if my current hardware is up for the task...
    • How about power? Will a single 500W Power Supply suffice?

Any additional comments/ideas?

Thanks!

2. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Yes, shouldn't be a problem. I've run systems with lower specified Intel HD graphics and XBMC OK. And I've run a G870 with 5 disk software RAID-5 array, when writting to the array at 110MByte/s the CPU was around 18%. Given you have hardware assistance on the RAID side I don't think there'll be a problem.

You'll probably need to add another RAID card - I think the Motherboard has a pair of PCI-e x16 slots.

I would think it's plenty - I have a G870 based system running 5 x 3TB 3.25" drives and it requires around 120W peak, settling down to 65W active (actually writting to the disks). Your system will approximatly double those requirements, but that still leaves plenty of headroom on a 500W supply.

3. colicab

colicab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, cjed.

Nice to hear you have had similar setups that run smoothly. Gives me confidence it will work for me as well.

Off course you're right I'll need an additional RAID controller if I want to expand. For the moment I just wondered if a possible second expansion would be feasible with my existing components.

A follow-up on RAID controllers though. Say I add an additional RAID card, can you generally configure these cards to make one big array. I mean combine the x disks on Controller A with y drives on Controller B to get an x+y array in RAID configuration? From what I read, I guess you can't but wanted to ask anyway...
    This is just out of curiosity but it might effect my decision on the capacity of the initial RAID controller.

Cheers!

4. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    There is nothing to stop you combining the hardware RAID on the motherboard and the hardware RAID on an addon card. Just use software based RAID to combine the two. For example use HW RAID1 on the motherboard for the OS, and HW RAID5 combined with SW RAID0 for data.