Converting .mts files to Mac files on Final Cut pro

jaeveg

Standard Member
I just got a Panasonic AVCHD camera and it shoots on Sandisk memory cards. I tried to import the files onto my Mac but it didn't recognize the format. I have access to an editing lab with Final Cut Pro. Will FCP be able to transfer the files or do I need a converter software or am I just screwed. PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU KNOW!!
Jae

A n d r e w

In iMovie: Put the memory card in a USB card reader and once it has mounted on the desktop, open iMovie. After a bit of thinking, iMovie should open its import pane and display thumbnails of your clips.

In Final Cut: Put the memory card in a USB card reader and once it has mounted on the desktop, hit Cmd-Shift-8 to open the Log and Transfer window.

If neither of these work, then it's likely you have versions of the software which do not support AVCHD video. Which version of iMovie do you have on your Mac? Which version of FCP?

Torf

v6.0 of FCP does not have import facilities for AVCHD.

You will need (at least) the v6.01 update I believe to be able to import. Then the process is as Andrew states above.

A n d r e w

Worth bearing in mind if you're using someone else's Mac to do the transfer that Apple editing applications convert AVCHD to .mov using the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC). The resulting files are pretty enormous (because less compressed), making portability an issue. Don't expect to be able to take the transfered video files home on a USB stick!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 Review, Apple Lossless & Dolby Atmos @ no cost, Sennheiser IE900 review + more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom