1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting MP3 to CD format - which software is best??

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Bigweed, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi to everyone

I am trying to convert my MP3 collection to be compatible with my in car stereo. However, I need to know which software would be able to do this job the best. Free software which does a good job would be great, but I am not sure if there is anything for free which is any good, and which does not have time limits, etc.

I need the software to be able to convert the MP3 songs to CD format, and then to burn them onto CD as well. Does anyone have any ideas??

Many thanks

Bigweed

2. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    an obvious solution would be Itunes, its free, can import to mp3 and other formats, is not timelimited and can burn cds with a push of a button.

However you need at leas windows xp and above to use it

3. Caveman643

Caveman643

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I use Nero. It's dead easy to use and works well.

4. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Caveman643, which version of Nero do you use?? Are they all as good as each other?? And does it create CDs which can be played on none-MP3 players, ie converts MP3 to CD format??

Thanks

5. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lukey
    Are the results of burns using Itunes quite successful when playing on CD players?? ps I have a NEC 3520 DVD Rewriter, dont know if that makes a difference??

Thanks
    Bigweed

6. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi bigweed

Ive never had a problem playing direct copy (cd to cd) to copying mp3 to Cd, I use a jvc surround sound system and a technics hifi, both of which read the discs okay,

Regardless of which type of software you use to copy cd's you will need to make sure that your hifi/player reads CDr's/CDRW or DVD/DVDR, then again almost all decent hifi will play these formats so will be surprised if yours doesnt.

Playing copied should sound like the original if they are copied like for like, however if you are copying mp3 to a cd they might not sound as good as the original due to them being compressed files.

7. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May sound obvious, but what about Windows Media Player. Import MP3s into your library, add desired ones to burn list, insert CD-R or whatever, and away you go. Once the tracks are on a disc, they ARE in CD format, so you can do what you please with them.

Hi, btw! You from Bournemouth, too, huh? My home town!

8. Caveman643

Caveman643

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I use Nero version 6. When creating an audio CD it converts your MP3 files to CDA files (I think) which play in normal CD players. As most things these days it's point and click.

9. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I second Nero. Drag, drop, totally reliable burn.

10. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My earlier post aside, I use Nero, too. Never caused me grief.

11. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, great place to live huh??

Anyway, I tried it with WMP, but it doesnt copy over the name of the songs, or other tag info, they are all just called "Track 1", "Track 2", etc. Is this the case, or is there a way around this, or am I doing something wrong?? btw I am using WMP9.

Will try iTunes in a second.

Thanks
    Bigweed

12. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    If you want to play a cd burnt on a pc then your car cd player needs to be able to play cdr/rw. More play cdr than rw.

Also, if your cd player will play mp3 cds then its as simple as making a data cd and filling it with 700MB of MP3s

13. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I just tried a CDRW in the stereo burnt using WMP9, an audio CD, so that it converted all the MP3 tracks to CD format, and it worked!!!!! I bought a new Astra SRi the other day, and its a CDRW compatible stereo which I didnt even know!!! Yay!!!

However, all of the tracks came up as Track 1, Track 2, etc. None of them came up with their actual titles on the display. The same is true when I tried the CD on my PC. Is this the same for all audio CD tracks, ie those in CD format? Do none of them display track info??

Thanks
    Bigweed

14. MikeNolan

MikeNolan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use various software to copy songs to CD as MP3 files and the titles are retained. You say that your files show as Track1 , Track 2 etc. what are the file extensions? Are the CDA. If they are, then they are conventional and you will not see the song titles. It is only MP3 files or similar that will give you the song titles.
    The problem I have is that they are not played back inthe correct order. Any ideas.

15. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I hope Bigweed has sorted their probs by now since last August!

MP3 files on CD are usually played in alphabetical order on filename hence it's important to use a consistent naming convention for filenames with the tracknumber included. Many people use the convention:

Artist - Album - Tracknumber - Trackname

16. MikeNolan

MikeNolan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have given the tracks/files a number prefix, but this only works on my computer, and cd players in the house. It has no effect on the Alpine unit in the car. It's as if it pics up some hidden information and sorts on that basis.

17. dessieclive

dessieclive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the best tool to use is easy cd_da extractor rips burns and coverts best bit rate is 192 can be found at www poiksoft.com

18. mascis

mascis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Only Certain CDs(bought off shelves)/cd players would give you track information....and unless its an album and not a compilation, CDDB would most prolly recognize the CD

Bournemouth..one of the happiest moments in my life. stayed there for a month way back then('91 to be precise). was studying in Kings College..id rather stay there than in london anyday....i still remember the street i stayed in, Portland Road hehe..wonder if the bar near it is still around