1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting M4P format

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Agincourt, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Agincourt

Agincourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I tried downloading music using iTunes for the first time last night (6 free downloads from BT) but made the mistake of not checking what format they would be downloaded in first. Unfortunately M4P is no use to me as I can't play it on my DAP. Is there any way of converting these files to a more widely used format (MP3 or WAV would be great)? Or do I simply put it down to experience? :lease:

2. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    DBPoweramp

3. Agincourt

Agincourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you for the extremely quick reply. I've just tried it and dbpoweramp doesn't seem to recognize the .M4P file as a music format. Any clues/suggestions?

4. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you downloaded mp4 video files instead of audio files from the new itunes website,??? Ive have checked itunes and they download mp4 and H.264 video files, audio files are in aac 128kbs. If youve downloaded a video file I dont think theres anyway to convert to audio. :confused:

5. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    go back on to the DBPoweramp website and you can download the codec packs to convert whatever formats you need.

6. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Audio files from iTunes are in a DRM-encoded AAC format. I doubt whether DBPoweramp will even look at them.

You'll need JHymn (google it) to unencode the files, but I don't think JHymn is working for iTunes 6 songs yet, so if you've used iTunes 6 you'll have to wait until JHymn's updated.

7. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Or use iTunes to burn a music CD, then re-rip to MP3.

8. Agincourt

Agincourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you everyone for the great support. I'm looking at J Hymn now, but it's not looking too good. Guess I'll have to go down the CD route. Long winded but it'll teach me to check the preference settings first. At least it's only 6 tracks and I didn't have to pay for them.

9. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Checking preferences wont help. All downloads from iTunes are in m4p format - DRM'd AAC files.

10. Agincourt

Agincourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So does that mean I can't use downloaded music from iTunes if my DAP won't decode M4P or AAC formats? (without going through the burn to CD routine)

11. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suspect you're getting mixed up with terms. I hope this clears things up for you. Shout if it doesn't.

Music you *rip* from a CD using the program *iTunes*, can be ripped in whatever chosen format and settings you want (AAC, mp3, ALAC and so on). There is no DRM-encoding on these songs whatsoever, so can be used on any player, or any computer you want that is capable of doing so.

On the other hand, songs you *download* from the *iTunes Music Store* are formatted as AAC (with DRM encoding). These would need to be converted with JHymn, or burnt to CD and re-ripped as above, before they can be played on players incapable of playing them in their original format.

12. vtah236

vtah236
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have done this with JHymn, but had to download the mp3 codec. Worked fine.

13. pcdoc

pcdoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I usually just play it in ITunes and have a recording program to record the wave channel, then just mp3 the resulting wav file. Only takes the time to play the song(s) through.

14. Agincourt

Agincourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Having spent a fair amount of the weekend struggling with this, I am fairly sure that neither JHymn nor BDPoweramp can convert the .M4P files that I downloaded from iTunes. Burning to CD and ripping back to MP3 seems to be the best route but is v slow. I don't think I will be paying for downloads from iTunes, somehow, although, since these were freebies, I can't really complain too much.

15. Happytab

Happytab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can anyone give me the web address for the Jhymns thingy - I have googled but can not find the little blighter. Thanks alot

16. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0