Converting HDMI to component

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by jamest, Sep 13, 2007.

1. jamest

jamest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I expect this is a relatively common query, but 30 mins on Google and 15 mins on this forum has still left me bemused:rolleyes:

I have an old PJ , a Sony VW10HT, which I am still rather fond of and it supports everything up to 1080i. I have recently moved house (reinstalled the PJ) and changed bulbs so I am unwilling to buy a new PJ at the moment. My v.old THX Pioneer amp is sorely in need of an upgrade as its woeully short of component inputs and just has ancient connectivity. The remote just died to boot. My intention is to get a Denon 3808 or Onkyo 875. This will fast forward my amplification about 7 years!

My problem is that the PJ only supports component inputs which is fine for my Sky HD box, DVD player, Wii etc but I want to take advantage of the upscaling from component to HDMI of these new amps for the Wii and DVD player (max output of those is 480p).
    There seems no way to convert HDMI to component directly, but how about HDMI to DVI to component via 2 adaptors.

All advice gratefully recieved and I am, fortunately, not as technically rusty as my kit!!:D

2. dognosh

dognosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
  3. jamest

jamest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. My google skills are clearly as rusty as my AV equipment:D

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    Hello Jamest

The Video Conversion/Processing available on a lot of AV Receivers has inherent limitations (Digital Out via HDMI being a common one).

If the only problem with your AV Receiver is on the video side of things have you considered a dedicated Video Processor instead.

Lumagen, DVDO and others have very high quality programmable units that will Output Digital (DVI or HDMI) or Analogue signals scaled and processed to exactly match the Input on your Projector - see http://www.lumagen.com and http://www.anchorbaytech.com/products/systems/

Dedicated VP's are far more configurable than any AV Receiver to cater for difference between your various Source devices.

Joe

5. jamest

jamest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I need new functionality from the amp too. I have, for instance, gone to the trouble of wiring up 7 speakers on the walls but the old amp only supports 5.1 (and no DTS at that either). Also the remote is knackered.

I also intend to wire a plasma into the HDMI output at some time in the future (there is about a 10m run to a neighboroughing room) so I might just end using the component for the projector and the HDMI for the Plasma. So many decisions! :eek:

The scaler would have been a good option if the amp had been just a little bit more up to date. I can't complain, I've had 7 years service out of of a £700 Pioneer THX amp though.

Nice thought though, thanks for the links. :smashin:

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    Hello Jamest

It does sound like a New AV Receiver is on the shopping list.

The only limitation with Analogue 'Component' being any HDMI equipped Sources that deny some programme material via the non encrypted Analogue Outputs; V+ being the only one currently doing this.

Otherwise you will require some form of HDCP removal + Digital to Analogue conversion to use the HDMI out with your Analogue only Projector.

The CYP product previously linked to is one of the few still on the market offering that trick - HDFury being another option.

Joe