Converting from PAL 2 NTSC

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Saturn82, May 17, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Saturn82

Saturn82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do I convert my PAL tapes in to NTSC tapes. Is it as easy as I think its. Is it the same as normal dubbing/copying!?
    ...Do I just use a PAL VCR to play the tape and use a NTSC VCR to record it???

Or do I have to use some kind of "special" tool!????

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    You will need a standards converter. Back-to-back copying won't do it.

You can get a standalone converter (plug in between the 2 VCRs) OR a VCR that converts and records in whatever standard you want, from Lektropacks. Also, some Tottenham Court Road stores have a Samsung (I think) VCR that will convert.

Beware: Expensive. Plug in converters start at about £300 and go up. Converting VCR = £600 up

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    A friend of mine told me he copied an R1 ntsc DVD to VHS PAL on his bog standard vcr and it came out perfect using a standard scart to scart lead.

I told him that this is not possible as he would need a converter like Nigel mentions.

How could he have done this?

4. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    Possible that his DVD player converts to "true" PAL (my Dansai one does). Or possible that he is using Pseudo PAL on his DVD and his VCR just *happens* to cope with it (very few do). If it's the former, then the said tape will be a true PAL tape; if it's the latter then the tape actually conforms to the Brazilian TV standard!

But there aren't any mainstream cheap VCRs that will do a full conversion NTSC>PAL in either direction. Only the very special ones as I mentioned above will do it.

5. Saturn82

Saturn82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so what happends if I have 2 PAL VCR's that both has NTSC Playback.

...I insert a NTSC tapes in one of them and a blank tape in the other VCR, and start copying. What happends????

Will the blank tape become NTSC or PAL????

6. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    Probably neither. In all likelihood, the recording machine won't be able to handle the signal coming off the playback machine. This playback signal is likely to be what is known as PAL60 which is a hybrid standard that is understandable to most TVs but isn't usually recordable on a PAL VCR. So you will probably get a garbled unwatchable tape. Some PAL VCRs will record such a signal, but the recorded tape is in PAL60 which, as I mentioned before is only used (as a national TV standard) in Brazil, I think. It certainly won't be usable in the USA. You WILL need a standards converter. Honest.

7. Saturn82

Saturn82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, I did get a clear picture last time. But if it's in PAL60 as you mentioned It won't help a bit ...Must be in NTSC.

anyway, what is the cheapest converter I can get? and where can i get it? (online store)

btw, thanks for all the help nigel.

8. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    You're welcome. See my first post - Lektropacks. Start at £299 I think for a standalone. More for an equipped VCR.