Converting files to MCE

Monty Burns

Hey guys,

top of the morning to ya!

I'm looking to convert all my current films etc to a format I can stream in MCE to the X360 or my MCE laptop.

The files are a mixture of divx, xvid, mpg2 and avi. Can someone recommend a freeware/shareware program that I can do this with please? Possibly some sort of wildcard or batch mode would be great.

Thanks in advance!!:clap:

BrianC

Novice Member
Have you tried Transcode 360? That will allow you to stream pretty much anything to the Xbox 360.

Monty Burns

I have not no, thanks for the info. I will look it up :)

Would be nice to have a backup solution of being able to convert though. Any ideas anyone?

Monty Burns

HI Brian,

thanks for that but, after having a good look I think (whilst that is a great app) I would prefer to recode everything to WMA.

Anyone know of something that can do this for me please?

BrianC

Novice Member
Can I ask why?

You can use Windows Media Encoder - available free direct from Microsoft - to convert pretty much everything not protected by some form of DRM to WMV.

Monty Burns

Ahh ok. Media Encoder sounds ideal :thumbsup:

Yeah, problem is that you need to select to transcode something just before you can watch it. As this box will also receive my sky feed((s) - another project!) if the gf is watching tv in the main room and i want to stream something, im gonna need to disturb her. Also, it does say transcoding x246(sp?) stuff is very heavy on the processor - the pc will be used for live tv as well and i don't want this to impact that. I do have a lot of Hidef stuff, some is x246.

Keeping it as uber simple as possible makes it even more "gf approved":D
(i know its not tricky or a big inconvenience but, anything to keep her happy)

Thanks loads though, you've given me the ideal soloution :thumbsup:

summat

Standard Member
Ideal solution?, maybe, but I gave up on this route when each movie would take 3-4 hrs on a 3.2GHz A64 2GB/RAM machine. Went for an under-the-telly HTPC instead. Still a lot more problems to resolve, but I gave up on the 360 as a bad idea. Now, if Transcoder360 worked for me, it'd be ideal, but that was a marriage never meant to happen.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom