Converting External Hard Drive FAT32 to NTFS

Woggy67

Standard Member
Hi,

Just purchased a WD Passport Essential 250GB external hard disk drive. I have noted the comments from others here about reformatting and have two quick questions:

:lease:

1) I have no data on the drive so would like to reformat to NTFS as it will be used for Windows only, but some files may be over 4 GB. I am not really technical so any simple and easy to follow instructions really appreciated.

2) I have noted that there are other files on the WD hard drive such as manual, start up files etc. Should I save any of these files or do I just go ahead and reformat, presumably wiping them off?

Thanks in advance.

lowmans100

Copy files from new drive then
Start > My Computer > right click on WD drive > Format

Choose NTFS > Start

When complete move copied files back to WD HDD

...and your done

Woggy67

Standard Member
lowmans100,

Just a quick note to say thanks for the very concise advice. Ideal for a 'layman' like me.

Saved instruction files etc. off WD HDD to desktop, then reformatted drive to NTFS as per your instructions, then finally moved files back onto WD HDD.

Have used the HDD this evening to 'darg and drop' files onto it and seems to be working fine. Ideal as my back-up drive. :thumbsup:

Many thanks for taking time out to answer my questions.

Woggy67

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom