• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

converting dvd's into one file ( AVI/MP4)

nico_4

Standard Member
hi

im lookng at converting my dvds into one file so that i can then place then on my ps3.

does anyone know how. thanks

Axum

Distinguished Member
OK, so you're in the same position as me then!

Your best bet at the moment, if you want uninterrupted playback, is to extract your original DVD into a single .VOB file using DVDShrink.

This can usually be done with a minimal amount of compression and you won't lose anything like 5.1 sound.

This will give you a single .VOB file which is less than the 4GB maximum limit for a single file. You can then load this onto a FAT32 formatted HDD or a USB Drive and play via that or copy to your PS3.

I am however trying to ascertain if playing back a movie using this method limits the playback options you can use...

nico_4

Standard Member
I'm going to do a write-up on this shortly.

It's in the settings somewhere, you can choose what DVDShrink will rip it to. Also, under preferences, you want the "Split into 1GB chunks" unchecked, that will give you your one large .VOB file.

Hi, i have tried the above and made some adjustments and unchecked Split into 1GB chunks but its still dosent convert the film into one file.

has anyone got this to work yet

thanks again

kendoll

Prominent Member
Hi, i have tried the above and made some adjustments and unchecked Split into 1GB chunks but its still dosent convert the film into one file.

has anyone got this to work yet

thanks again

It will still create quite a few files, have you tried just using the largets VOB file that it creates?

Bretto

Established Member
Sorry for butting in, but I have backed up a film using dvdshrink into a vob file, but for some reason I cannot stretch the screen vertically. The film is playing in a very narrow window. My other AVI files I have backed up using another program works just fine....

Is there a setting when ripping to maximise the screen?

Thank you ,

Brett.

Axum

Distinguished Member
It will still create quite a few files, have you tried just using the largets VOB file that it creates?

If you have a DVD with AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS Folders, with .VOB files in them, using DVDShrink, it should only just create one .VOB file, it may create .IFO files as well, but you won't need those, so as he says, just use the largest (should be just over 4GB) .VOB file, that's your movie...

To answer the other question, sounds like you have black bars top and bottom ? This is how the director intended it, you could zoom the picture maybe, using either your TV or the upscaling feature (Full screen or something) on the PS3, but you'll cut some of the picture off... Don't know any ripping setting that will change it, not via DVDShrink, you would have to use another program and reencode it...

nico_4

Standard Member
If you have a DVD with AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS Folders, with .VOB files in them, using DVDShrink, it should only just create one .VOB file, it may create .IFO files as well, but you won't need those, so as he says, just use the largest (should be just over 4GB) .VOB file, that's your movie...

it seems to create 7 vod files and the largest one wont play the whole film just where the film is placed within that file.
can u please confirm you're settings. the only settings that i have chaneg from the default is the unchecked Split into 1GB chunks

Axum

Distinguished Member
Don't convert it, you'll lose something in the conversion, you always do..

This shouldn't be happening, is there any chance you can take screenshots of the problem (CTRL + Print Screen then paste into Word or something similar) ? When you insert the DVD into your pc drive, then open Windows Explorer at that drive, you should only see 2 folders right ?

AUDIO_TS will be empty, VIDEO_TS will contain loads of files. When you start DVDShrink, and say "Open disc" and load the dvd up what do you see ? Take screens of the DVD drive's VIDEO_TS folder, screenshot of DVDShrink, and a screenshot of the resultant folder...

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom