Converting DVD to PS3

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by stevetlizard, Apr 29, 2007.

1. stevetlizard

stevetlizard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right o, I'm looking at getting an external HD drive to hold the majority of my DVD's. The only question is how do I get the films into a ps3 friendly MP4 file.

I've been playing around with this for a while and tried a fair number of methods, ie. DVD decrypter, ViedeoReDo, DVD Shrink, Super c, PS3 Video 9 and I'm blowed if I can't get anything to work.

What I'm looking for is an idiots guide (me being the idiot) to sorting this. Hopefully where the whole process takes less time than the length of the DVD itself and where I can keep the original 5.1 soundtrack.

Any help hugely appreciated.

Cheers :thumbsup:

2. davidkingmartin

davidkingmartin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have been copying MPEG 2 video from DVD straight to the internal PS3 HDD (press Options and follow instructions. I use the Sony DVD r/c). HOWEVER, these are "homemade" recs. recorded from satellite (ie analogue via scart) to a standalone DVD recorder....no copy protection problems. Ditto videotape rcds copied to DVD (but some pre-rec commercial tapes will not copy to DVD ......Macrovision?).
    Another poss solution which sometimes "works". Use DVD Shrink, as you did. Then run the file thru DVD Santa, to DVD. Experiment using a RW format. Insert finished disc, after finalising it, into PS3.....Copy. It sometimes works. May be something to do with MPEG 2. Will probably not copy DTS etc. I do not know! Unfortunately, the whole process takes several hours, with no assurance of success.
    DVD Santa can be downloaded free off the net. At worst, you will end up with a set of DVDs that will play on any DVD machine but not copy to PS3.

3. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,044
    I've not found anyway of retaining 5.1 audio with conversion to mp4/AVC

Can convert DVD to AVC but standard stereo only on PS3

4. small358786

small358786
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Other than having it easily to hand I cant see the point in ripping/converting DVDs so they can play on the PS3 when you can just stick the disc in as it is and get it in better quality

5. Coldgunner

Coldgunner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    because when running off HDD, it upscales.

I simply rip the vob file, change file extension to mpg and ftp it across. I use dvd decryptor to rip a whole movie as one large file.

6. small358786

small358786
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I tried renaming to .mpg and part way in the file just froze.
    I take it you are limted to 4GB a file as well cause of the FAT32 format?

7. davidkingmartin

davidkingmartin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    In reply to Small, point taken, but I think we are referring to DVDs that have been copied to computer HDD before the PS3 was ever thought of. These DVDs may include discs copied from friends', homemade compilations ie rcds culled from my own collection, copies of TV shows, camcorder rcds etc...so the "originals" are not always to hand. Besides, I like the conveniece of not getting out of my seat.....(might spill the wine...). I hasten to add that I do not copy discs that I have not purchased from a legit source and that the discs are made for the purpose of transferring data from one play-back medium to another, for private use.

8. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,044
    Very true about the upscalling by the PS3 (I've tried it) but my Bravia does just as good a job at upscalling the 576p source to its native 1360x768 display as does the PS3 or upscalling DVD player so the big loss of only stereo sound is not worth it.

Its a challenge ;) Thats why we try it :D

9. Sqweeky Badger

Sqweeky Badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    ok ok did that but when i change the file extetion it reads

video1.mpg.(vob)

how do you change this.