Converting DVD ISO to XBox 360 format with 5.1 surround

couldtryharder

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of selling my WD TV Live and Wii to buy an XBox 360. I have a collection of 100 plus legal DVD ISOs. I realise the XBox won't play these but from the supported formats listed on the page below seem to offer alternative formats that I might be able to convert to:

Xbox 360 DVD Player | Xbox 360 Streaming | Xbox 360 Video - Xbox.com

I have a 1TB NAS with a 1TB USB drive attached to it so storage is not a problem. I am therefore looking for the highest quality format that will maintain 5.1 surround. On paper, the WMV (VC1) looks like the best option but I am willing to be convinced of an alternative.

I have tried PavTube DVD Ripper but when I try to rip to WMV HD (VC1) with WMAV3 surround it errors out.

How do people get a good standard of video played on their XBox while maintaining 5.1 surround? I should add that my computer is a MacBook Pro which may or may not limit the number of conversion programs available to me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for this. Unfortunately, I wish to have the files hosted on my NAS and do not want to use WMP.

Any other ideas?

my files are on a NAS

the NAS has an ethernet cable which connects to the router. The Xbox plays this direct by pressing the X button briefely and scroll once to the right brings up media player

no need for WMP !!

Your NAS should have a UPnP/DLNA server which is how you stream to the 360, there is no other way.

I would not recommend going with WMV as the image quality isn't as good and support for WMV varies a lot should you move to a different platform. The XviD AVI with 5.1 audio is the best course of action. Try DVDx on the Mac.

If you have Windows through virtual PC/bootcamp and a want very high quality XviD video use Staxrip
* Select XviD profile, click on codec configuration and drag the slider to maximum quality
* For audio profile select just mux, this will keep the AC3 5.1 audio track in place.

Staxrip doesn't support ISO as input so you will have to feed the ISO into MakeMKV which will spit out the MPEG-2 video and AC3 5.1 audio as an MKV file with original video/audio intact, then just feed the DVD/MKV into Staxrip.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom