converting divx into dvd playable format

A

alexef88

hi there,

i have just got some episodes of THE OC from a friend and they are in divx format. they run on my pc but not on my dvd player, is there any way of converting them into a format to do this.

any help welcome
thanks alot

Yes - winAVI is excellent for this. Do a search on google.

Or vso ConvertXToDVD. There are better alternatives to both these programs (such as Mainconcept Mpeg Encoder or Canopus Pro Coder) but they take longer to get the results even if they produce far better results. I did not want to keep messing around with conversion so I got myself a Mpeg4 DVD Player as it simplifies things and makes it so much quicker and easier.

Not done this for a while, but I have used a free program called 'DIKO' to do this, however if the original file contains 5.1 audio you also need a plug -in called softencode.

I used to have the same problem, but since I got the DVP5900 I don't have that problem anymore.

But, the process I used to get my movies to play on the DVD Player was:

Use CCE SP to demux the AVI file.

You get a 2 output files, a wav (audio) file and a mpv (video) file.

Then using a dvd authoring program such as DVD-lab Pro import the output files and convert them into DVD format, then complie your ISO and your good to go ;).

Note: Sometimes you get audio/video sync issues, this is down to the FPS just play around with the settings and you eventually get the correct ones ;)

Good luck :smashin:

A cheap divx/ xvid capable DVD player is probably less hassle unless you want to share the video clips via universally playable DVD video discs.
Even when you convert mpeg4 to DVD compliant mpeg2 ( with variable results re: PQ) you still have to import them into a DVD authoring capable program to create the DVD Video.
One advantage is that you can customise your DVD regarding specific content but it will take a bit of work

Yeah, gettin a cheap DivX/XviD player would be much easier.

senu said:
A cheap divx/ xvid capable DVD player is probably less hassle unless you want to share the video clips via universally playable DVD video discs.
Even when you convert mpeg4 to DVD compliant mpeg2 ( with variable results re: PQ) you still have to import them into a DVD authoring capable program to create the DVD Video.
One advantage is that you can customise your DVD regarding specific content but it will take a bit of work

vso's ConvertXToDVD does it all. You are left with the DVD compatible files which you can simply burn to a DVD using a burning program such as Nero. It's simple but the quality left a bit to be desired the last time I tried it. I myself used Mainconcept and DVD Lab to produce the DVD but it took far too much time to do it, even if the results came out very good.

Mr_Fantastic said:
vso's ConvertXToDVD does it all. You are left with the DVD compatible files which you can simply burn to a DVD using a burning program such as Nero. It's simple but the quality left a bit to be desired the last time I tried it. I myself used Mainconcept and DVD Lab to produce the DVD but it took far too much time to do it, even if the results came out very good.

VSO already comes with a burn engine so you do not need to use Nero etc. I use VSO all the time since it is a quick convenient one click divx to DVD solution. With VSO set to the highest quality output settings the final results are perfectly acceptable.

Another piece of software worth trying out for DivX to DVD is DVD Santa.

When converting NTSC pulled-down film material (23.976 frames per second) I have been getting some good results with VirtualDubMod and BeSweet.

VirtualDubMod allows you to demux the audio stream. I've then changed the video stream's frame rate to 25fps (PAL) using direct stream copy mode (no re-compression). Then using BeSweet's built in NTSC->PAL audio conversion this speeds up the audio stream by about 4% to match. Don't worry about the speed up - this is how PAL telecine normally works.

You can then MPEG-2 encode the resulting 25fps audio + video streams using something like TMPGenc. This allows you to create anamorphic 16:9 material. Then author onto DVD.

It's a bit of a convoluted process, but I find this gives the best judder-free divx to dvd conversion for me. My televison looks better displaying PAL, as the 100hz mode is not available with NTSC (i.e. it shows 60Hz not 120Hz).

I use DivX-to-DVD creator from Roxio which is ideal for me.

It's just really simple no bells no whistles just source, destination, aspect ratio, standard (NTSC-PAL) and convert.

I was having a right game with Nero and others they could make nice menus and convert to decent sounding 5.1 but lipsync was awful.

Now I just burn each episode onto a DVD-RW watch it and copy over it. It's a pain if you've got loads of episodes to watch in one go as the the bulk convert put the output in to a weird order.

TMPGenc and TMPGenc DVD Author are simplicity in themselves and give wonderful results every time, inc. Dolby 5.1

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom