1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting "chapters" to "Titles" on a Toshiba XS34

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Marg B, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Marg B

Marg B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been searching the forum, looking for help on what *should* be a trivial problem -- it is certainly dead easy on my Pioneer DVD recorder -- but no luck, so I thought I'd start a thread with a question...

I have just replaced a malfunctioning (but dearly loved) Pioneer with a Toshiba XS-34. After several experiments I still have not discovered a way to divide a title on the HDD into chapters, then promote these chapters to individual "titles" with the same names when creating a DVD-R. There seem to be at least 6 ways to create a DVD-R, but they all behave oddly. Most commonly, they will copy the individual items just fine, but each chapter is given the title of the original recording it is taken from, so that I end up with 20-plus items on my DVD-R, each with the same title, and have to redo all the titles which I (painfully!) gave them on the HDD. During the "finalization" step there is a selection to put only Chapters on the menu, but it is inevitably grayed-out, and the manual gives no clue why it isn't available.

Compared to the Pioneer, which made all of its functions obvious within hours of set-up, this device seems to have been designed to give users a hard time. Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

2. bernie_pt

bernie_pt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if I understand correctly your problem but.. I archived on DVD some titles for my daughter. On HDD, I created a playlist with all the titles as chapters and gave each chapter a name (quick menu), then created a DVD with only the chapters menu. Only annoyance is as I give the 'autoplay' option, the only way I have to reach the menu is the 'Top Menu' button on the Toshiba, and can't reach that on my other player (Jocel MP3000 - Menu button does nothing, and doesn't have a Top Menu button).

3. Marg B

Marg B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. Yup, what you describe is what I did on the first of several attempts. The problem is that the ability to create a "Chapters" menu is grayed out as unavailable, and the (astoundingly unhelpful) documentation provides no clue as to what I'm doing wrong or how to arrange things so that it is available. And so far my ability to guess the cause is proving inadequate.

Of course what I'd *really* like to know is whether the folks at Toshiba had to hire special consultants in order to produce a user interface which is this dreadful...

4. bernie_pt

bernie_pt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only reason I see for the 'chapters menu' being greyed is that you have no chapters in the program.. have you done exactly what I said? Remember for example that doing a rate conversion dubbing clears chapter marks. After creating the playlist I have done a high speed dubbing (HDD->HDD).
    Hope that helps.

5. Marg B

Marg B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the pragmatic engineer in me has to admit that obviously I'm not doing *exactly* what you said -- if I were, it would presumably work for me, too. ;) However, I'm at a loss to pick up on what's different. Yes, I took the 20 titles I wanted to copy over, and created a playlist with them all. Then I high-speed dubbed it to the DVD (I also tried the procedure using the "DVD-R creation" function on the edit menu; the results either way are identical.)

The high-speed dubbing produced a perfectly functional DVD-RW with one title (the playlist name) and 20 chapters. I can see the chapters when I expand them on the DVD-RW, and I can play them individually. But I cannot create a menu with chapter titles only. That option is not available, and the unhelpful help message at the bottom says "Select if your [sic] creating a Title Menu and/or Chapter Menu. When several parts are selected, you can not select "Only Chapter"." Assuming it considers a title to be one "part" then I only have one, guaranteed -- when I burn a "titles" menu, that's exactly what I get: one box. When I say "Titles + chapters" I get a top menu with one title, and a selectable submenu with twenty chapters. It's usable on most modern DVD players, admittedly, but not all of the ones I could test on. And dang it, it isn't what I want....