1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting Analog recordings

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by garreth64, Jul 8, 2004.

1. garreth64

garreth64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Please excuse my ignorance on this subject, Ive done a bit of research but it is not something I do myself.

My dad uses Pinnacle Studio 8 to make DVDs etc from his DV camcorder. He has a load of old analogue hi-8 stuff he wants to record to DVD and wants to know how best to convert it. He also wants to upgrade to Studio 9.

Pinnacle appear to have a number of bundles that could/would do the job which include:

Studio AV/DV - which is a PCI card
    Studio AV/DV deluxe - PCI card plus breakout box
    Studio Moviebox Delux - USB2 - this is no good as the PC has no USB2 ports
    Studio Moviebox DV - seperate box uses firewire port

Moviebox DV seems the best option - but is expensive. £159.99 is best price from simply computers.

Alternatively could he just buy Studio 9 and get hold of a seperate analog to digital converter?

Any advice from anyone who has been there would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Mark

2. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've got the Studio AV/DV - which is the PCI card and Studio 9.
    Find it gives great results capturing from any analogue device.
    Although you need to open the PC and physically install the card and then you need to be able to access the back of the PC to attach the device you are capturing from, whereas the Studio AV/DV deluxe - PCI card plus breakout box - gives you a box that you can put anywhere (at least that's my understanding) that you attach your devices to.

I've got no complaints about this hardware or the software, although there is a rather large patch on Pinnacle's Site that you might want to download before using Studio 9 - which is fine when using broadband.

3. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    Hi, I don't really know anything about these products, but just thought you should know that you can buy a USB2 four-port (five-port including an internal one) PCI card for less than £15 so you should not let that put you off that particular program.

Cheers,

Martin.