Converting Analog recordings

garreth64

Established Member
Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance on this subject, Ive done a bit of research but it is not something I do myself.

My dad uses Pinnacle Studio 8 to make DVDs etc from his DV camcorder. He has a load of old analogue hi-8 stuff he wants to record to DVD and wants to know how best to convert it. He also wants to upgrade to Studio 9.

Pinnacle appear to have a number of bundles that could/would do the job which include:

Studio AV/DV - which is a PCI card
Studio AV/DV deluxe - PCI card plus breakout box
Studio Moviebox Delux - USB2 - this is no good as the PC has no USB2 ports
Studio Moviebox DV - seperate box uses firewire port

Moviebox DV seems the best option - but is expensive. £159.99 is best price from simply computers.

Alternatively could he just buy Studio 9 and get hold of a seperate analog to digital converter?

Any advice from anyone who has been there would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

I've got the Studio AV/DV - which is the PCI card and Studio 9.
Find it gives great results capturing from any analogue device.
Although you need to open the PC and physically install the card and then you need to be able to access the back of the PC to attach the device you are capturing from, whereas the Studio AV/DV deluxe - PCI card plus breakout box - gives you a box that you can put anywhere (at least that's my understanding) that you attach your devices to.

I've got no complaints about this hardware or the software, although there is a rather large patch on Pinnacle's Site that you might want to download before using Studio 9 - which is fine when using broadband.

MarkSTI said:
Studio Moviebox Delux - USB2 - this is no good as the PC has no USB2 ports

Any advice from anyone who has been there would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Hi, I don't really know anything about these products, but just thought you should know that you can buy a USB2 four-port (five-port including an internal one) PCI card for less than £15 so you should not let that put you off that particular program.

Cheers,

Martin.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom