1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting a double garage door - An idea maybe ...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by reggs, Feb 11, 2003.

1. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Had an idea that I thought I'd run by you guys.
    Problem - I want to convert my present attached double garage in to a HT room. I still need a bit of storage space, a normal garden shed would do it, but I don't actually want a shed in my garden. I also need to keep the double up and over garage door as I don't want to convert the door to bay windows or doors etc. and don't want the house to look 'odd' when viewed from the front.

My idea is to get the double garage door to swing open, rather than open 'up and over' and to create a small shed space behind it by doing the following:
    1. Remove the normal runners at the top left and top right of the door.
    2. Attach two or three heavy duty (& large) hinges down the right hand side of the door.
    3. Attach two rubber wheels along the doors bottom edge to hold its weight as it swings open (B&Q do tons of different types and sizes).
    4. Build a partition wall 3 feet back from the garage door - Making a self contained narrow room between the door and the wall.
    5. Attach locking mechanism / handle assembly down the left hand side of the door.
    That's it bar any problems. BTW - The drive slopes away from the house so even though the HT floor needs raising, I'd don't think I would need to raise the floor to this new space.

I realise that I could only swing the door fully open with no cars on the drive, but in the majority of cases it would only need to open 2-3 feet in order to get in and out of the space.
    Interested in any thoughts on this or indeed if anyone has done this already or thinks it won't work and why etc.....

2. voodooflux

voodooflux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi reggs

I'm going to be doing a similar thing with my single garage door this weekend.

It's basically a fibreglass skin over a steel frame, so I need to remove some of the frame that runs down the centre (where I plan to cut) and then add some more frame where necessary to make the two resulting panels rigid again. Then I need to find some heavy duty hinges, probably 3 each side. I'm only leaving about 10 inches between the doors and the wall I'm building behind - just enough for some shelves.

Not sure about locks yet, need to do some more thinking and take a walk around B&Q.

Cheers
    v.f.

3. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cool. I'm not totally mad then.
    Do you plan to swing your door open from the middle then?

4. voodooflux

voodooflux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It is kinda reassuring to know that someone else came up with this idea too!

Yep, the doors will be hinged at the side and swing open from the middle.

Cheers
    v.f.
    p.s. just remembered I'm away this weekend, so it'll be the weekend after that I tacke this.

5. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've only got a single garage, but I just built a wall about 5 feet back from the garage door so the up and over door still worked and I have a nice little store. It meens my HT room is a bit small, but I need the storage space.

:)

6. voodooflux

voodooflux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Know what you mean about the storage space, but fortunately we had a space down the side of our house for a 16" x 4"8' shed. Managed to get all the stuff from the garage in there, with room to spare!

The garage is now completely empty, but I though it was worth leaving just enough space for some shelves at the front (won't miss 10 inches hopefully). After all, you can never have too many shelves :)

Cheers
    v.f.

7. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I thought about doing this as I installed a remote garage door motor lift originally, (which is my pride and joy) and will hate to see it go. Unfortunately I think leaving the door as up and over, would take at least a third of the available room, which is too much if I'm going to have to go to the expense of the conversion including knocking a door through etc. :(

8. adi

adi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a thought - instead of hinging the entire door(s) - fix it shut and just cut a "normal" door apperture into the big garage door - should be a lot less cumbersome

adi

9. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Now that makes sense!
    :blush:

10. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Why not just get a rollershutter type garage door?

:)

11. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cost and looks really.
    The present door is quite nice with stained glass etc. It also matches the windows to the rest of the house.