Converting a desk lamp to LED - what bits do I need?

Spiderpig

Distinguished Member
We have this old desk lamp where the old tube blew and no one could fix. It’s of sentimental value to the family, so we can just throw it out.

4E711466-DBAA-474A-A4BD-1AF3FD841790.jpeg

I though I would take the project on and convert it to work of an LED element. However, I can’t find out what bits I need (Amazon seems to have everything else except what looks suitable). I assume I need an LED element and a controller.

Has anyone done this before and can link some components to help me out? The inside of the lamp is about 11” wide.

Thanks.

oneman

Maybe have a look for a similar size strip light used for under cabinet light and transfer the fittings over

aVdub

Distinguished Member
You could use a small LED tube, or many smaller bulbs.

brunation

Got a multimeter? I'd want to be checking the earth continuity if your going to stick with 240v.

A quick search shows there are LED strip lights at 221mm in length.

I'd look to convert to 12v as per @aVdub's link.

Otherwise, when can we see you on The Repair Shop?

John7

If you have the original lamp holder(s), I believe this may be the type of lamp needed, direct LED replacement. Just guessing though but I think this is the kind of "bulb" these lamps use.....

Amazon product

Spiderpig

Distinguished Member
Thanks guys. The original lamp fittings in this lamp burned out so I can’t really do a straightforward bulb swap. I’ll be looking for some kind of LED module or strip, a driver, and I guess a mains transform of some kind.

IronGiant

How much space, specifically length, is available inside the shade?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom