converter lenses off Ebay

S

standoug

Hello all
I've been reading this forum for several months now and found it very useful.
A few months ago I bought a Fuji S5000 and want to take bird photos with it.
The 10X zoom is not quite enough for my purposes, so I've been looking at teleconverters. I've read good reports on Olympus TC but wanting to save some money I've looked on Ebay and found a couple of teleconverters. The feedback that has been made indicates that people are happy with the lenses that they've bought, but it is none specific.

I was wondering if anyone had bought converter lenses off E bay and could give me some advice.

Thanks

standoug said:
Hello all
I've been reading this forum for several months now and found it very useful.
A few months ago I bought a Fuji S5000 and want to take bird photos with it.
The 10X zoom is not quite enough for my purposes, so I've been looking at teleconverters. I've read good reports on Olympus TC but wanting to save some money I've looked on Ebay and found a couple of teleconverters. The feedback that has been made indicates that people are happy with the lenses that they've bought, but it is none specific.

I was wondering if anyone had bought converter lenses off E bay and could give me some advice.

Thanks

Do you mean something like this...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30070&item=3866476307&rd=1

These third party adaptors are usually of poor quality, and will degrade the quality of your pictures.
Serious bird/wildlife photography really needs a proper DSLR with interchangeable lenses, but if you want quality AND focal length its gonna cost big money............

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I'd avoid these, there's likely to be some serious chromatic aberration (colour fringing) with glassware in this price range, decent glass costs and it's all the more important when it's deficiancies are magnified further by your camera lens.

There are some decent teleconverters out there, try looking for the (out of production) Olympus b300 1.7x tc .... I know it was a very popular addition to the 10x zoom lensed Olympus cameras, notably the 2100uz and 700 series, for bird photography. Although the results won't match those from a dslr+long lens, the quality will be adequate for many.

standoug said:
Thanks for your replies
I found some more info and photos to look at on this site
http://www.s5000.net/forums/yaBB/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=opinions;action=display;num=1105277878.
It seems to suggest that the X2 I was looking at is OK, but I am still dubios.

Regards Stan

Hmmm, get outside in reasonable light and the CA will be everywhere (and a tripod will be compulsory at those mags and low shutter-speeds). Depends what you want to do with the images really, even pretty grim photos can be made to look fine when reduced to web/monitor size with a bit of basic photoshop.

We all have different ideas on what is acceptable quality and what isn't... for the price of these tc's then you may as well give them a shot, just don't go expecting much feather detail.

You should be able to get some decent shots of birds with your camera as it is... you just need to use traditional bird photography techniques in getting close to the subject, maybe an improvised hide and a well set-up feeding station (photogenic log with some birdfood on it). You be amazed at how close we have to get to our subjects even with big lenses.

regards,
Andy

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom