Converter for SKY HD?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by frazbhoy, Oct 7, 2005.

1. frazbhoy

frazbhoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I want to know if my Plasma is ok for Sky HD, due for release next year.

It is not HDMI/HDCP compatible buy the Sky Website says the new box will have a component-out that is supports 720p-50 and 1080i-25

But my plasma only supports 720p-60, 1080i-50 and 1080i-60. Do I need a converter? If so, can anyone recommend one?

Thanks
    Fraz

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +770
    I think this is case of wait and see. In the US many HD boxes can be set to output a fixed video format (say 1080i only or 720p only) with the receiver box transcoding other video formats to this. In your case you'd set the box to permanently output 1080/50i (aka 1080i/25 - though I hate that nomenclature as it implies only 25Hz motion)

However until we find out if the Sky HD receiver offers this, it is impossible to say. It might be possible to buy a scaler that would convert 720/50p to 1080/50i - and this might be a better quality solution - but it is likely to be expensive.

3. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Fraz, if you told us what your plasma was it may help :)

4. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sounds like a PD5200 doesnt it!!! :) I have one of them and as somone has said on here before it is themost compatible non-compatible TV ever!!!! :)

5. frazbhoy

frazbhoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Soz LFCRules, James is spot on, it's the Hitachi 42PD5200

Stephen, does 1080i/50 support mean it will accept 1080i/25?? The website is quite specific about the supported formats, check out www.sky.com/hd

Thanks guys
    Fraz

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Sky's use of the 1080i25 format name is quite confusing - it is equal to the usual 1080i50 (i.e. 50 fields per second compared to Sky's 25 frames per second).

Steve

7. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Being honest, the 5200 is a good unit but like anything it has its good and bad points, but I think it is down to the quality of what is broadcast, I would like it to be capable of 720p/50 for the option of Sky HD in the future but it aint, so in my eyes its tough luck, but overall things such as cheap broadcasts on UKTV style etc are fairly poor, the footbal on BBc today was not fantatsic but things on Sky are usually pretty good like the football on Sky Sports are exceptional, great clarity and the colours are very rich and it does what I want it to do, must admit looking forward to hooking it up to a DVD using the DVI or Componant, and making full use of the plasma, but overall its horses for courses, I took about a month choosing my plasma, I looked at teh cheapies, and I alos looked at things such as Panasonic and Pinoneer etc, but for what was open to me in my budget the 5200 seemed like the best overall unit, very pleased with it, but if you want HD on it in the near future I would imagine a scaler will be the only option, but do you really want to be paying out for a scaler, Sky HD and an extra £10 per month just for what will initially be about 6 channells, give ait a few years, let HD get establisehed, the prices will come down and by then hardware will be a lot cheaper, so enjoy teh unit for what it is at the moment and dont worry about HD just yet.

Anyway, just enjoy it!

James

8. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +770
    It is a nomenclature thing.

1080/50i means 25 1080line frames, made up of 50 540line interlaced fields every second. However the 2 fields that make up the frame don't have to be captured at the same time - so you can still get 50Hz motion capture - hence many feel the use of 50 is more helpful in describing the full capabilities of the system

1080i25 means 25 1080line frames, made up of 50 540line interlaced fields every second. Yep - exactly the same. However because the nomenclature uses the 25 number, many think that only 25 pictures are captured each second, so the motion performance is only half that of 720p50... However this is not the case, as with interlaced sources, there are 50 independent images captured each second, so the same number of images are captured in both i25 (aka 50i) and p50 (aka 50p) - the difference is in the trade-off between resolution on static and moving picture content that interlace uses to reduce bandwith.

Within interlaced systems the FIELD rate defines the motion performance not the FRAME rate.

9. frazbhoy

frazbhoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone, very useful info

Fraz