1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converted to rear projection ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Michelle1965, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Michelle1965

Michelle1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,
    just wondering if any of you guys have managed to convert family and frends to rear pro.To a lot of people it always seems to take a back seat,they go into currys /comet and if look lost, they nearly always seem to be walked towards plasma lcd, because this is what you need !!! at twice the price!!! On a personal level i have been into these shops and proper TV shops at top prices and been extremly disappointed with the picture quality, ok we have all seen nemo etc on DVD, but i want a TV as a TV but larger screen. I have been told they all share the same ariel, but surely if you want to see how the TV channels look they would set it up properly as you would see it at home?

I would be interested to know your opinion on this. Thanks

Michelle

2. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My daughter in laws Gran had seen a Dlp set in Comets i presume the Sagem 50 & liked it she only needs it for the BBC & ITV channels & needs a large set to match the size of the room. My daughter in law saw my set on Saturday & was very impressed with the Tv side as well as with DVDs & wanted to know where her Gran could demo one near Plymouth.
    Other family members have loved the set but it's too large & are hoping smaller sets come out soon.

3. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes, absolutely. I had the Sagem 50", and several uber-critical work mates had a look at it when we had a barbie. There were lots of comments about compensating for something, but people were blown away by the quality - including the ~50% in the room who had a plasma. They had been saying that it couldn't be better & I didn't know what I was talking about at the barbie earlier! Not sure if any have changed, though one has gone for a DLP front projector now.
    The challenge seems to be that people decide on some aspect of the solution (Plasma) before defining the problem (big picture, good picture, thin machine would be typical I would guess). Then the usual rubbish set-up in high-street electrical stores prevents them choosing on the basis of performance (it's like choosing your art based on the frame alone!)

Cheers

Greg

4. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Michelle, it seems the perception is still towards Plasma and LCD however I have converted my family accordingly, although Rear Pro DLP isn't perfect, in terms of picture quality and price/size they are sure winners.

Friends have been wowed by it, in particular they think the SP46 I own initially looks like a Plasma and then are surprised when they see its rear though are impressed by its small depth.

I think as next generation models come out, only good things will happen :clap:

5. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gregory it can be better Optoma RD50 :devil:
    The Sagem 50 has a good picture as well the best i've seen in Comets :)