Convert to higher bit rate

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by conington, Sep 10, 2007.

1. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Folks as usual I'm looking for a little help, I've just ordered a new 160Gig iPOD Classic and in preperation have been converting my music collection from 192kps to 256kps. This is a very long process (I have approx. 13,000 tracks) and usually I hilight the tracks and right click "convert" - this works as I would expect but when finished does not delete the old 192kps track, instead I hit delete when all is finsihed as the 192kps tracks remain hilighted.

Yesterday I managed to click in the music window whilst a conversion was in process for many songs, this meant that when all was complete the old 192kps tracks that had been converted were no longer hilighted thus I had to go through and manually delete them !!!!

Is there any way to set iTUNES to delete the old track once a conversion is complete automatically?

Thanks for any help,

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,366
    Converting from 192 to 256 will not increase the quality, all you have done is placed a 192 track in a 256 space. To get 256 compression you needed to have the orginal master and archive to 256 instead of 192.

3. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    You can add the option to show the bit rate (right click on the bar that has the track name, album nate etc) and then sort by that. You can then delete all the lower rate ones.

However as per the previous post, there is no point converting 192k to 256k. The reason 192k sounds bad is because a lot of information is thrown away during compression process. That information can not be retrieved, hence the reason it doesn't sound like the original.

If you want to use 256k on your new ipod, i am affraid you are going to have to re-rip all your cd's (i assume they are not downloaded from itunes and are legit versions)

4. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    And you've made existing music sound even worse, and deleted the original 192kps.

Delete everything, and start again...in lossless.:)

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    Well, yes. The conversion from 192 to 256 is, itself, lossy. So, even though you're taking up more data space, you're actually making the end result worse, because you're adding loss to something that's already suffered some loss.

So - keep your existing 192s. Or start afresh from an uncompressed source.

6. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks to all for the responses - looks like I am going to have to start from fresh !!!

7. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,600
    May I suggest you invest in an external HD as £ per GB they are pretty cheap these days and have music in both lossless and lossy

8. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    :eek:

On the plus side, as have already been mentioned, rip to a lossless format (FLAC/ALAC/WM Lossless). You can then transcode to any lower bit rate lossy format (MP3/AAC etc) and the resultant file will sound as good as if you'd ripped into that format directly from CD (if you see what I mean).

Or as you've got a 160 Gb iPod, keep everything lossless (ALAC).

9. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Again thanks for all the feedback, I'm still getting over the shock of after having spent almost an entire weekend of converting up I will actually have made no poistive difference to the sound quality - feel a little stupid now !!

As with many of us I have learnt over the years, unfortuantely I have also burnt over the years not realising, until recently, the logic of burning at lossless. I do use an external disk to back up my data (including my iTunes library) but the thought of having to re "import" my CD's is not something I relish.

Never mind, I've learnt the hard way I guess.

10. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    We have all done it.

I had my whole cd collection on my harddisk and it failed resulting in me spending another 3 months re-ripping it.

I now have it all backed up.

11. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Yep. I ended up ripping a lot of mine three times over the years....mainly because space was an issue when these new-fangled MP3 player thingies came out.

12. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Yes once you have re-ripped make sure you back it all up. An External Hard disk and a free copy of Microsoft Synctoy (free download from MS website) is ideal for this.

13. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    I've ripped 3 times - first to MP3, then to AAC when my 2G ipod filled up, and finally to lossless. The lossless files are stored on a server in RAID1 configuration, and I have 2 additional copies on external hard drives, one of which is kept at work in case the house burns down. No way am I ripping 900 CDs again... ;-)

14. christam

christam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    As Stevos says a little earlier in the thread, we've all done it. But this is the post that made me laugh aloud with sympathy. And I thought I was being paranoid in having 2 backups ....

15. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,516
    I have 2 backups as well, not just music but family photos; 1 internal drive and external and i am still not complete satisfied!

16. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    I also keep a copy of the most important stuff on a DVD-RW at the Inlaws house!

17. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,516
    Absolutely wicked :)

See people mention a few times, but never tried it. Absolutely great, simple and exactly what i want - no more dodgy batch scripts and Robocopy for me :D