convert HR.HDTV.AC3.XviD to DivX6 ?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by c_j_holt, Aug 9, 2006.

1. c_j_holt

c_j_holt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I want to watch HR.HDTV.AC3.XviD files (the 700Mb ones) on my Pioneer DVR-440HX (which supports DivX6) but it can't cope with the 960*544 resolution. I just got a new telly (Samsung HD CRT) and the thought of watching standard-res files (the 350Mb ones) on a high-def telly leaves me cold.

questions:
    1. what software should I use to convert to DivX6?
    2. what resolution should I set the output file to? 576p? 480p?
    3. Does DivX6 support AC3 5.1 surround sound?

thanks in advance

ChrisH (Horwich)

2. Jamesy_UK

Jamesy_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Unfortunatly if your going to down- rez then you may as well just get the 350mb versions because you will hardly be able to tell the difference (slightly less blocky and clearer but not by much) as they both use the same source file and are just downconverted from full HD to xvid hd then xvid sd. With a modest outlay of cash you could buy an xbox360 and put media center 2005 on your pc and watch them that way with transcode360 software, best solution all round plus ya get a games console into the bargain. It works out cheaper than a good silent HTPC and it looks better and is easier to use than honking around a wireless keyboard and mouse you can just use the media remote with the 360 or the wireless controller.

Little more info than you wanted but its the best option i found for watching Hi-def stuff on my HDTV, once your all setup its a breeze.

3. The_Wierd

The_Wierd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Not sure an Xbox 360 plus a media center PC = "modest outlay of cash".

An original xbox chipped and with Xbox Media Center (XBMC) installed will play the 960x540 res files and output it at up to 1080i. In fact it will play just about anything you throw at it. It needs a bit of fiddling to get it going, but it's well worth the effort. Probably get a second hand Xbox 1 for 50 quid now - that's a bargain.

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I watched the tv serie's Lost in HR.HDTV.AC3.XviD resolution on my standard res dlp projector using windows media centre and thought they looked awsome :)