Quantcast

Convert HD frequency

F

frazbhoy

Hi All,

I need to convert (I think!) 720p-50 input to 720p-60 output (component) or 1080i-25 input to 1080i-50 output (component).

Basically I will need this so the new SKY HD box can be used with my current Plasma (hitachi 42PD5200)

Thanks
Fraz

Jasonjo

Most scalers should do this.

Depending on the quality of the scaler you may or may not notice the "frame rate conversion" process. This is normally most evident with scrolling text or similar.

JJ

james_19742000

Novice Member
Being new to this scaler lark, what scalers would do what the original poster has requested, as I will be in a similar position if I decide to have Sky HD, what prices etc do they start from? Any assistance would be grateful I am aure.

Regards James

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Just the frame rate conversion will be done by all Lumagens (£800-£2000), the DVDO HD+ (£1000) and VP30 (£1500?), and the Crystalio I (£1500 clearance). There are others but I'm guessing for a 42" plasma the several thousand pound jobbies are a little overkill (might as well buy a new plasma!).

Of that list, the Lumagen HDP (£1300) and ProHDP (£2000) will actually do a full job of deinterlacing the 1080i signal producing a much better output for your display than the others would (proper 2:2 and 3:2 pulldown). I would also advise running the 1080i input at 720p output in this instance as this avoids the Hitachi introducing it's own foibles (bad 1080i deinterlacing with horrific overscan). The Crystalio II (£3000-£3700) does 1080i with full per-pixel motion adaptive deinterlacing, as will the new Lumagen Radiance (£lord-only-knows-but-a-lot) when it is available next Spring.

VirusKiller

Novice Member
Jasonjo said:
Depending on the quality of the scaler you may or may not notice the "frame rate conversion" process. This is normally most evident with scrolling text or similar.
None of the scalers in the <£2000 territory have time-based interpolation algorithms so you will notice some conversion judder... You need to spend mega-£££ for that (according to Liam).

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Correct - mucho mucho expensive for an interpolative process. I don't find it too bothersome, but prefer it not to be there. Sometimes you've just gotta judge which is the lesser evil. In Fraz's case it;s judder, or no HDTV!!!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello all

Yes a fair few folk have sat through the odd Lumagen demo or two by Mr Fraser and not noticed 50Hz to 60Hz Frame Rate Conversion was active.

frazbhoy - I take it were talking Analogue YUV In and Analogue YUV Out and relying on the non HDCP Outputs SKY have promised!

Best regards

Joe

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Just to add that the 1080i25 in the Sky blurb is a misnomer I believe. It's actually 1080i50 the thing supports.

You are also not going to get interframe interpolation to reduce/negate FRC for under £20,000 let alone £2000.....and you wont get it with the HQV or Gennum based devices that are coming.....or if you will they are keeping it quiet.

Gordon

davsdu

Novice Member
Just a quick question:
The HD clips you can download from Microsoft, are they 50hz or 60hz? And how about the HD T2 movie?

F

frazbhoy

Joe Fernand said:
frazbhoy - I take it were talking Analogue YUV In and Analogue YUV Out and relying on the non HDCP Outputs SKY have promised!
Spot on Joe, at least they haven't gone totally DRM on us!

When the box is available I'll ask the forum members if anyone has tried the 1080i 50 option available to us Hitachi 42PD5200 types.

Cheers all for your comments
Fraz

Top Bottom