Convert Files Plug-in for the Humax Foxsat HDR Web Interface

raydon

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am pleased to announce the release of the Convert Files plug-in for the Humax Foxsat HDR Web Interface.
This utility enables the creation of replacement copies of original recordings, which will still play correctly on the HDR, but which will have much greater compatability for streaming to other DLNA enabled devices.
Also, in the case of HD recordings, the AC3 audio track is set as the default, instead of the Audio Description track.
Please note that there is no guarantee that streaming will be possible to your own particular player by using this utility. We can only state that it is now more likely to succeed. The only sure way to find out is to try it. I myself have used it in conjunction with TwonkyMedia to successfully stream recordings to my Samsung LCD TV.
Other successes have been with some models of Sony and Panasonic TV's.

The plug-in has three pre-selectable run modes:
  • Auto –- will run on each boot.
  • Once –- will run on the next boot and then be switched to “Off.”
  • Off – - needs no explanation.
2q0myx0.jpg

Using either Auto, or Once options will initiate a full recursive scan and conversion of the whole Video folder, including all of its sub-folders. A full scan like this will take some considerable time, and for this reason a 'Force Stop' option is available in these modes.

In addition to these full scan modes, a single recording conversion can be initiated at any time by selecting the option available in the recordings Opt+ drop-down menu of the Media Browser page.
It is envisaged that users will be cautious, and start by using this method to initially convert their video library, then later use the auto modes for day to day use. There is the provision to keep backups but these will quickly eat up your storage space, so once you are happy with the converted copies you should delete the backups, and possibly turn off backups altogether.

The Opt+ menu
x40s8w.jpg

Which after a confirmation dialog, will return a status message.
wuowog.jpg

Then a small progress 'pie-chart' icon, and % complete, figure will be displayed alongside and updated as the conversion progresses.
8x1mk5.jpg

Once completed, a 'DLNA' icon will be displayed alongside to signify that the recording has been converted and is now more 'DLNA-Friendly'
14lreo8.jpg

Conversion progress can also be monitored from the Settings page.

2w3c9zm.jpg

Install in the usual way via the Web Interface : Package Management -> Update package list from Internet -> Available Tab -> Install

This project has been a collaboration between myself (raydon), and adrianf36.
We hope that you will find it useful.

Our thanks to the beta testers, Graham Thompson, Rob, and David500.

Last edited:
Excellent as always :thumbsup:

Quick question though.. where is the backup stored and how would you go about reinstating the original?

many thanks

Excellent as always :thumbsup:

Quick question though.. where is the backup stored and how would you go about reinstating the original?

many thanks

In a folder called Backup in the containing folder for the original recordings. You simply have to delete the new file .ts created by the package and replace it from the backup folder. In beta testing I converted over 160GB of content (takes a while) and simply deleted all the backup files in one go as they weren't needed. Be aware you will run out of drive space if you use the backup option without enough space to hold all your .ts files twice.

Hi GC. I take it you haven't read the Guide documentation provided in the package yet so I'll quote the relevant paragraph here:

There is a checkbox which enables or disables the keeping of backups of the original recording. If this box is checked a backup will be placed in the folder .BACKUP created under the same folder as the original recording. This folder will be hidden from the HDR's own Media Browser view, so any deletion of backups must be done via FTP or from a telnet session.

If you wish to restore the original then simply delete the converted .ts and move the original back in its place. You can do this easily using drag and drop via FTP, or a Samba share, or a bit more technical, from a telnet command line session if you are happy using that environment.
EDIT: I see Graham has responded also, but be aware that the folder is named .BACKUP (note the leading full stop) which tells the HDR (and linux) that this is a hidden folder, similar to the ones created by the HDR itself for thumbnails and chapters (.tac) files.

Last edited:
Hi GC. I take it you haven't read the Guide documentation provided in the package yet so I'll quote the relevant paragraph here:
Well that's embarrassing.. :blush: That's the first place I checked :facepalm: Obviously my skim reading isn't as accurate as I thought it was.

Apologies. However many thanks to yourself and Graham for responding.

GC.

Well that's embarrassing.. :blush: That's the first place I checked :facepalm: Obviously my skim reading isn't as accurate as I thought it was.

Apologies. However many thanks to yourself and Graham for responding.

GC.

I need to be embarrassed I read the documentation 3 times and missed it as well.

I'm fortunate enough in respect that all my gear plays the original .ts files so I can't comment on the success of the converted files, however my humax HB1000 wouldn't play the correct audio stream until now. Excellent work chaps. :thumbsup:

I can also confirm success with a HDR1000S and a HDR FOX T2. A Nexus 7 worked with the original files but needed to switch audio tracks, now works without needing to switch tracks.

No luck though with Sony KDL32CX523 smart tv.

Thanks for the positive feedback Graham and G.C. :thumbsup: It would be nice if others could report successes or failures here, regarding playback of converted files on their own particular bit of kit.

This worked streaming to the Xbox One ( however , this may have been ok with the original TS files ). No joy on my Roku LT ( this might be because of the file extension ). Has anyone tried streaming the converted files to a Chromecast device via Allcast ?

This worked streaming to the Xbox One ( however , this may have been ok with the original TS files ). No joy on my Roku LT ( this might be because of the file extension ). Has anyone tried streaming the converted files to a Chromecast device via Allcast ?

Turn off auto conversion, make a short HD recording. Now see if you can remotely view with the XBOX ONE.

More compatibility tests

PS3 - no joy - won't list .TS files at all

X BOX ONE - need help, I can't find a way to even look for a dlna server. Looking on the net it seems to only support dlna servers that are capable of sending the content (ie initiated from the server end).

Hi Graham , You can use apps like Allcast or BubbleUPnP to direct DLNA served content to the Xbox One by selecting it as the Renderer.

I will try that next time the XBOX ONE is here. It belongs to my Grandson.

Hurrah! My Panasonic GT60 will now play (converted) .TS files off the Humax!! or at least off my NAS drive as I was too lazy to get Twonky to rescan the Humax's folders. [Only really useful for stuff that I will archive off to the NAS drive as the Humax is connected to the GT60 by hdmi. Not to say that it won't be useful.]

So will the Asus O!Play in the bedroom (although that defaulted to subtitles ON) - the programme I tried in HD on this is a bit 'jerky' but that'll be the box / wifi connection rather than the reprocessing of the Humax I reckon.

Neither would recognise the files before this patch.

:beer: Many, many thanks to those who have spent time to provide this feature (and have to brains to work out what was 'wrong' with the existing files).:thumbsup:

Will have to play with my Archos 80 tablet again, (I refuse to pay for the codecs that should do it as I'm unlikely to use it for viewing much), just to see what it can do with the files now.

Now <thinks> how safe is it to convert them all without the .BACKUP process???

Hurrah! My Panasonic GT60 will now play (converted) .TS files off the Humax!! or at least off my NAS drive as I was too lazy to get Twonky to rescan the Humax's folders. [Only really useful for stuff that I will archive off to the NAS drive as the Humax is connected to the GT60 by hdmi. Not to say that it won't be useful.]

So will the Asus O!Play in the bedroom (although that defaulted to subtitles ON) - the programme I tried in HD on this is a bit 'jerky' but that'll be the box / wifi connection rather than the reprocessing of the Humax I reckon.

Neither would recognise the files before this patch.

:beer: Many, many thanks to those who have spent time to provide this feature (and have to brains to work out what was 'wrong' with the existing files).:thumbsup:
Will have to play with my Archos 80 tablet again, (I refuse to pay for the codecs that should do it as I'm unlikely to use it for viewing much), just to see what it can do with the files now.

Now <thinks> how safe is it to convert them all without the .BACKUP process???

Well I converted over 160GB of existing content using the final beta (it took over 36 hrs in 3 days). Not one required the back up (I only tried the first few seconds though). It was frankly more hassle to delete the backup files. It takes a while to delete that amount of data on a Foxsat :D

Compatibility of the files for me has been as follows. Working on Xbox One , Ipad 1 , Android Tablet and Phone. Not working on Sony KDL-40W5500 TV , Roku LT and Google Chromecast. I believe that the Roku and the Chromecast are happier with MP4 files. Great work by the way.

First Brilliant work Raydon & Co, I have two Foxsat HDRs and a T2 on my network the two Foxsat HDRs running MediaTomb as Server, and the T2 Its own Server. as a client I am using a WD Live box the T2 plays all files OK, and shows up as HDR-FOX T2 Media Server, The First HDR as MediaTomb, but the second HDR will only show up as MediaTomb if Box one mediaTomb is switched off.
How do I edit the config File of either Box to change its name

Repassac thanks for your reply
Web IF system Settings Box, on Box 1, is Hostname is "Foxsat-HDR" and in Box 2 its "Foxsat-HDR-2",
I believe the MediaTomb config.xml file is created when it first runs and both are Named MediaTomb,
When I look at both config.xml files.
I assume this is why only one at a time will appear on the client ?
and thought changing the name in one would work or should MediaTomb be Re-installed to pick up the Web IF names ?, I'm lost

The First HDR as MediaTomb, but the second HDR will only show up as MediaTomb if Box one mediaTomb is switched off.
How do I edit the config File of either Box to change its name
To change the server name you need to manually edit the file /opt/mediatomb/config/config.xml
Line 9 contains the server name:
<name>MediaTomb</name>
Just change this to whatever you want it to be. Be aware that you must use an editor that dosen't add carriage returns as well as linefeeds to the end of each line.
You must then stop and restart mediatomb, or reboot the box, in order to pick up the change.

Thank you Rayon
I had tried this but have done it again, re editing the config file opening it in "Word pro 2003" "seems ok to use or can you recomend an editor" then checking by re opening it to check it says "MediaTombHDR-1" then switching off the WD box etc, but it still only lists it as "Media Tomb" on the WD.
By the way all files since enc removed and running Convert play, via the WD to a sony TV & a samsung TV at last, will report Models later, been trying to stream round house for 2 years now :)

Raydon
OOps had restarted MediaTomb but not restarted Box, Wife was watching Recordings.
so have now Rushed downstairs, powered down and now reading MediaTombHDR1
Now to do box 2 box two now set as MediaTombHDR-2
On WD Content Source screen it shows first MediaTombHDR1 then after random number of seconds flips to show MediaTombHDR-2 each works but wait can be very long to select required box. Don't you just love these things.

Edited Tried renaming one Box HDR1 MediaTomb still no good.
Now removed one Media tomb loaded TwonkyMedia 4 that stays on WD screen with MediaTomb HDR1 and the MediaTomb T2.
However it shows message "no Files in that Folder" and I have no idea how to fill in the settings boxes in TwonkyMedia, it asks IP address of server does that mean the Box its on IP, a simple explanation would help. tried FAQ etc

Last edited:
However it shows message "no Files in that Folder" and I have no idea how to fill in the settings boxes in TwonkyMedia, it asks IP address of server does that mean the Box its on IP, a simple explanation would help. tried FAQ etc
If this is the first time you have run Twonky then it needs to scan the HDR's folders before you will see anything listed. Rescan is then every 30 minutes. You can check settings by clicking on the Twonkymedia icon in the webif home page then selecting 'sharing' under the 'basicsetup' menu on the left side of the page.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom