Convert AVCHD to what? with what? (for editing on low powered PC)

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by mmace, Feb 10, 2009.

1. mmace

mmace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Hi guys, I use and edit AVCHD all the time, however in a few weeks my nephew will be borrowing the camcorder for a school project and he will need to edit the resulting files. His PC or the School PC's aren't up to the task so I said I'd convert them for him first.

What I need to know is which is the quickest software to use that will follow these guides:

1) Audio must stay as Dolby Digital 5.1 (or at least demuxed and the remuxed after conversion as long as it's in sync)
    2) high bitrate to keep as much quality as possible
    3) resulting file must be 1920x1080 (either keep interlaced or deinterlace the footage for progressive), I don't want to go down to HDV's 1440x1080
    4) resulting file must be avi (any codec really except h264 or variant that's cpu intensive) or MPEG2
    5) not essential but would like it to batch encode so I can set quite a few going and forget about it.

Not bothered about cost.

Any help would be appreciated

2. russelkhan

russelkhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Editing HD content will always be processor-intensive, regardless of codec. If his PC cannot handle AVCHD then I don't think merely changing the codec will make much of a difference, because the video is still 1920x1080. I may be wrong of course, but that's what I think.

3. mmace

mmace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    mpeg2 is less cpu intensive, my old PC could handle 1920x1080p in mpeg2 without problems but couldn't even play 1920x1080i AVCHD let alone edit it

4. russelkhan

russelkhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    You're right. I totally forgot that, which is unforgivable as I edited MPEG2 on an old PC for years.

Mediacoder is a freeware tool that can convert almost anything to anything. I don't have any AVCHD files to test, but the import dialog says it supports AVC.

If you want a professional tool, Canopus Procoder 3 will import AVCHD. I've used the older ProCoder 2 for about 5 years and it's MPEG-2 output is just amazing.