Conversion to allow 16:9 on google video. Anyone know how to do it?

F

funperro

When uploading my videos to google video that were recorded on my camcorder in 16:9 mode, they get converted to a squashed 4:3 aspect ratio that includes the black pillars on the right and left sides of the screen. When playing the movie clips on my computer, I always see the correct widescreen format displayed. I'd like to upload my 16:9 clips to google video and still retain their aspect ratio. Does anyone have any experience in doing this? I'm a bigtime noob when it comes to video conversion, so if you know of a method I'd appreciate it if you'd include the name of the software you'd suggest I should use... Thanks

A 16:9 clip uploaded and squashed to 4:3 by google:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...107671756&hl=en

A 16:9 clip on google video showing that google video can accept 16:9 videos:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2376568701388728852

Thanks

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
I've not used Google video myself, but below is their process:

Google Video recompresses all videos into 320x240 resolution Adobe Flash files with a bitrate of 450 Kbps to ensure reliable streaming from our servers. The download resolution is 480x360 at 800 Kbps. If you upload your video in any other aspect ratio, we will apply a letterbox format to your content to fit within the 4:3 frame. We suggest the specifications below for the best uality while keeping a reasonable file size:

- MPEG4 (mp3 or mp4 audio) at 2 mbps
- MPEG2 (mp3 or mp4 audio) at 5 mbps
- 30 frames per second
- 640x480 resolution
- 4:3 frame
- de-interlace

So, Google will attempt to convert this to 4:3 letterboxed. If they do that correctly it shouldn't look squashed, but they may not always correctly recognise the aspect. The safest thing is to do as suggested above - you yourself convert this to 4:3 frame (letterboxed) with the above resolution and square pixels.

Any editing software should do this. I use Sony Vegas.

F

funperro

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to avoid having to use that solution to the problem.. but it looks like I might be forced to do it as I haven't heard any other method to use (I've posted this on several sites).

I'm sure there is a way to show 16:9 without making a pseudo 4:3 by adding the black bars to the video as you can see in the link I posted in the original post. Anyone happen to have any other ideas?

Thanks!

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
I'm sure there is a way to show 16:9 without making a pseudo 4:3 by adding the black bars to the video as you can see in the link I posted in the original post. Anyone happen to have any other ideas?

Thanks!

Converting it to 4:3 letter boxed will look exactly like the good link you posted. I'm not sure what you mean by "pseudo 4:3".

The only other thing I can suggest is to check with Google to see why your clip did not get processed properly. What format was the clip you sent in?

F

funperro

I was thinking that what you suggested would give me large black bars at the top and bottom, rather than using the full space as shown in the video I linked. I'll try out what you suggested and see how it works...

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
The video you linked to has black bars top and bottom.

Google videos have to be 4:3. To create a 4:3 video based on 16:9 material you need to do one of the following:

1. Letterbox (black bars top and bottom). You fit the entire 16:9 video, with correct aspect (not distorted), but it doesn't fill the screen.

2. Crop (Pan and Scan): You cut off the sides of the picture so it fits in a 4:3 frame. Here you fill the full screen, no distortion, but you lose some of the picture.

You can also combine the two... I.e. crop off a little at the sides and have it letterboxed but with smaller black bars.

If you send 16:9 to Google, they do 1). The result will be letterboxed but should not be squashed.... they don't seem to have processed your video correctly. (The link to your video didn't work so I haven't seen it>

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom