1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convergence

Discussion in 'TVs' started by ldoodle, Jun 11, 2003.

1. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone describe to me what this is, how I would tell if my TV is suffering from problems with it (as this is what I think), and how I would fix it.

TV is a Toshiba 36ZD26P

Cheers/...

Did do a search but most of the problems were with Rear Pro Toshiba's

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure you really want to know what this problem is? If you can't see it currently you might end up actively looking for it if you know what it looks like...

I have the same TV as you though and haven't found the convergence a problem on mine. If anything, it's more likely to be geometry that might have issues.

3. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the problem i'm having is on things like the big brother logo... it kind of flashes permanently in shiny red and blue colors (not the whole logo, but certain parts of it). It's hard to explain. I suppose I could pause the TV (what a cool function), take a piccy and post it here.

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds odd. Which picture mode is your TV in? Ideally it should always be calibrated from Picture Mode 3 (most of the processing removed) and contrast should be set down to around the 50 mark (+/- 5 or 6). You should also make sure that the colour setting is no higher than 60 (unless your TVs been set up wrong at the factory).

Also, are you using the 100hz option? This option seems to flicker/flash a little on my 26ZD26P. I use 'Progress' mode exclusively.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Convergence on a direct view is much harder to fix than a RP/CRT FP, it requires a engineer visit.

When you look at a object with sharp edges- say in Windows.. can you see red and/or blue colour protruding around the box?

If you've seen a badly converged CRT RPTV set you can spot it straight away.

Have you got Avia? That has grids, so you can check geometry (straight lines, horizontally & vertically) and convergence (all three tubes focused/converged to the same spot)

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, now you know what to look for and that you're pretty much screwed if your TV does have convergence problems.

I guess you owe Nathan a beer.

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Witha perfect display (LCD/Plasma, or well converged CRT set) the white box will be white all over, with no colour bleed, with the black smack next to white box (so white/black only)- see top picture.

Also the red, it's converged to the right and below where it should be. See middle pic.

I've drawn a example where the blue is mis-converged to the right and below where the blue should be converged to. See bottom pic.

Does your set look like that?

The red & blue could be in either direction (left,right, above or below) the proper position, I just draw to the right and below just as a example.

Attached Files:

8. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I don't have AVIA.

Maybe it's not convergence then. As I said, it's hard to explain. I'll take a piccy tonight and email it to nathan_silly as i've got nowhere to upload/host it.

I need an engineer visit anyway as i've got the tearing/distorting problem with progressive scan... just not got around to doing it yet.

@juboy... I use the 'PROGRESS' mode at all times as well.

9. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, had another look at it and it appears to be some sort of flickering that's going on.

Any ideas?