1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convergence setup on Toshiba 40WH08B

Discussion in 'TVs' started by ketma, Jun 20, 2003.

1. ketma

ketma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trying to setup the convergence on the above Toshiba rptv, but this is proving quite difficult.

Is there a specific routine for doing this, or a set way to do it?

Picture is good, but on white screens there is slight pinking on the edges of the screen...

Help/advice appreciated.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. ketma

ketma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

Had a look a the link and this service menu setting seems a bit too risky...

I've only used the built in convergence setting form the menu. I've set it up not too bad, bud its really the slight pinking in at the edges that bugs me.

Also what does the TINT and SHARPNESS options do, can't really notice much effect.

What are the service engineers like for setting up this sort of thing? Any comments...

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tint adjusts the NTSC format, one way skin tones look orange, the other way pinky/too red.

Sharpness- one way- too blurred, another way too pixelley.

If you decide to bring a engineer round, he'll need to perform convergence for PAL in Wide, 4:3, Superlive, Cinema, Subtitle & 14:9. And he'll need to perform also in NTSC for Wide, 4:3, Superlive, Cinema, Subtitle & 14:9.

That's a total of twelve convergences.

Can you take a digital camera snapshot with that convergence grid I've linked to? I can get a idea what the problem is (probably misconverged on the red, but it could be something else)

btw, always reduce contrast from 100% to 40-50%, as default contrast (100%) ruins the picture and shortens the tubes life. Colour to about 35%. Brightness to ~50% (course your set is different, but you'll get a better idea of how it should look like)

Avia is a must-buy for CRT RPTV & CRT PJ owners. I would recommend buying a copy (NTSC only)

5. ketma

ketma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't realise that the convergence had to be set for every picture format/setting.

I have contrast set to 50, brightness 50, colour 45 and tint -10 and sharpness +10.

On the convergence screen it does look as if red is out of alignment, it's like I cannot converge red to the + and it always slightly ghosting, more to the right of the screen.

Blue looks ok, but its mainly points 3,6,9 out. Also I'm not certain what the big + is for, as when you set the no's it disappears, do you set this first.

Cheers for the help.

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to go into service menu convergence and shut off the red, blue or green to see how in focus each gun is. That'll mean the convergence grid is Blue, Green or Blue. Or Purple, yellow or cyan (depending on which is off/on)

It'll also allow you to adjust any geometry errors. And of course allow full convergence.

You can only do so much in the user level (my set looked much better after the service level)

If the blue is out on 3,6 & 9 it's possible it's got the similar fault as mine (Schempluge) it means one side is more out of focus than the rest of the screen.

On a front projector, this is done by adjusting the tube angle. But for my set (tosh RP) loosening the bolts which (should) allow angle adjustment will also allow coolant to leak. bummer.

Unless you can bring up or take a snapshop of Avia, that grid, or the built-in convergence grids I can't guide you what needs doing.