1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convergence Problems with JVC HV-28P37SJE? Help from owners required.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Stroker Ace, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Stroker Ace

Stroker Ace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received one of these TVs earlier in the week based upon recommendation from the forum and in theory it's a lovely set, well priced.

However, I have found the screen to have a couple of linearity problems - shapes are not consistent across the screen. I find that a square on the right hand side of the frame will appear wider than the same square in the centre of the screen or the far left edge. News tickers and such scrolling horizontal bars appear to move in and out very slightly as if behind warped glass. It's hard to detect on regular video, but is very apparent on stable, scrolling images such as new tickers or pure text, and since I'm using it primarily for gaming, that's a real issue.

This effect occurs regardless of the picture ratio (zoomed, full, 4:3, 16:9, whatever), or the signal being sent to the TV - regular TV signals, RGB signals and component input all elicit the same effect.

Given the recommendations from the forum that make no mention of this, I am concerned that maybe my set is damaged. Has anyone experienced such problems, or if the fault is unique to my set?

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    What you are describing is not a convergence problem, it is line linearity. You can expect those effects in 4:3 mode due to the variable stretching effect of the Panoramic Scan, but 16:9 sources should be generally free of it. There is of course a small tolerance allowed, and it's best to get your dealer to check if they can do anything to improve it. There are linearity adjustments available in the Service menu so they may be able to give it a tweak.

3. Stroker Ace

Stroker Ace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, really? My terminology was incorrect. My apologies.

I've had a little fiddle with the service menu, but nothing too deep as beyond the more obvious ones (X/Y orientation, screen stretching and such) I'm unsure as to what many of them do. I've fiddled a bit, with little success. If anyone has found a copy of the service manual for this model online, give me a shout. Let me know what the Line Linearity adjustments come under in their menus, too, if you can.

Yes, as you note, I would expect to see distortion on a stretched image, but this occurs on regular 16:9 sources. Indeed, if I use the X orientation on the service menu to slide the screen left and right, the warping can be seen, with the image on the right being slightly wider than the image on the left, which gradually shrinks to a VERY compressed image on the farthest left centimetre of the screen.

As I said, if anyone who has this TV can get back to me, I'd very much appreciate it. If this is a common fault, I'll have to make do, but if it's unique to mine, it's going back and they can send me a new one.

4. Stroker Ace

Stroker Ace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As it turns out, if it's anything like the 32 inch model, it has no service menu controls for horizontal linearity.

It's also developed a brand new problem - on startup, it just displays a picture filled with colour noise. Flicking through channels and such does bugger all, but as soon as you run a component picture through it, all of the other channels work fine.

So it's going back, I suppose.

Still interested in comments from others, or better yet an explanation for that new problem. That one makes no sense at all to me.