1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convergence problem with HS50

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by AlfaKhan, Jan 15, 2005.

1. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I got my VPL-HS50 last Monday. I was away until yesterday and only then had a chance to set it up.

I got the usual initial good vibes as often reported in this forum and also on AVS(US). Great image out of the box and all that jazz...

But, when I started to fiddle around with it using AVIA and The Ultimate DVD video tools, it became apparent that white subtitles were being displayed with red, green and blue fringes as opposed to pure white. A quick convergence check confirmed this. Only a small area of the projected image (about 10 to 20%) shows no sign of bad convergence.

Light or dark patch areas are present with a plain, uniform color screens. With gray or white screens this amounts to two huge “stained” areas: Greenish in the upper left corner and red in the lower left one.

This together with several other reports on AVS makes me believe Sony has a bad QC on the HS50. I am not happy... :thumbsdow

I haven’t read any reports about this here. Are all your HS50 Ok, regarding convergence?

AK

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    No problems with mine, sorry to hear about your problems :(

3. Blue2

Blue2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine seems to be out uniformly by about a pixel and a half... not really noticeable. slight hue change across the screen, top left to bottom right, when displaying complete white, but not so that you would notice unless really looking.

have you sent it back?
    b

4. Sporran

Sporran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    umm aint noticed any with mine, using multiple sources either. Impresses me day buy day.
    :D

5. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes, I sent it back.

It took almost 1 month for Sony Portugal to come up with some units. Now they're telling the dealer it will not be until next 17 or 18th of February before they have more units to cater for the exchange.

Believe it or not, the dealer looked genuinely surprised when I told him that having already parted with my money and having nothing to look at for one full month is just plain unacceptable. He forwarded my message to Sony...

This should be fun....(NOT!)

AK