1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CONVERGENCE /on BLUE

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by djw, May 21, 2003.

1. djw

djw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (MOD NOTE: Added to FAQ page)

HI EVERBODY.

Are there any easy steps out there for convergence.

I have tried to get the hang of it on my 420hb seleco.

THE real one I am having problems is BLUE tube.

THANKS LADs for all your help.
    DJ.:)

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Do blue on red to make it easier to see.

A tip I used to use but don't anymore is to shift blue image to right of green or red and then make the gap between the patterns horizontal and vertical lines the same all around, then shift image back over and tidy up.

Gordon

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It is important to do convergence in the correct order or you could wind up in a mess. turning the contrast down a bit will make the picture eisier to see.

Most manufacures do the convergence in the following order.
    start with the centre. then work in the zones horizontally to the left then the right of the centre line of the picture.
    Next the vertical line above and below the mid point.
    Next the areas (if your projector alllows) between the corners and centre of the screen (mid corners for want of a better description)
    Finally the corners.

What you will notice as you go through the adjustments is how adjacent areas are affected by the changes you are making. Expierience will show when to stop adjusting an area because the next zone will bring it back in.

Blue is the most difficult colour to do, I make a point of looking away from the screen regualry so that my eyes stay focused. but get the room truly blacked out and your eyes used to the dark.

Don't forget to put the contrast back to the original setting.

4. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Just like to say that I found this really usefull after having problems with my BD 708 convergence. Thanks :thumbsup:

5. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Of course make sure you have done RED on Green first :smashin:

I would do red on green, Blue on green, blue on red.

Moving the red or blue slightly to one side first then back can help, BUT after you pull it back in line make sure you check it again, even slight movement in any area can move convergence in other places.

The trick is also to not use too much of any one setting, better to have 2 settings at 75% than one at 100% and other at 50%.

6. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Thanks for that MadMrH, I did it in that order but sadly there is no option to converge blue on red, I have the option to view(blue on red) via colour select (this is where I see that the convergence is very slightly out). Any ideas please (i've tried binoculars).

Thanks

John

7. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    :confused: What?

Are you saying that the 708 won't let you have Green & Red on when doing a blue convergence?

If the pj won't let you switch off green then just cover it instead.

8. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Chris

Bear with me please.

I converged red on green then blue on green. After this I used colour select to view red & blue & the convergence is slightly out. Sorry for the confusion just looking for tips.

John

9. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    What you need to do then is send it a WHITE cross hatch test pattern, cover the green that will show any issues....

You need to work out the worst areas and adjust them first - YES a real pain as you cant have R&B on only to adjust so you have to guess a little....

BUT the main use of R&B is to check how well you did each with green.

10. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    MadmrH - I'll try that, thanks again, its much appreciated.

John

11. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Hi There,

Just a thing on what i find helpful for convergance...First i do a rough job with the inbuilt barco patern, not too much on anyone setting at first as i don't try to get it perfect the first time round...While the inner segments also move the outer ones, the outer ones also help the inner ones if you catch my drift (bad pun). Like most of the settings on the PJ they interact and if you try for perfection on the first run it gives you screwy settings....convergance needs a few itterations to get good.

Once i have a rough setting via the internal paterns, i switch to the Philips Test Patern generator V3.11 (HTPC software) and select the pre-defined paterns - Convergance Paterns - Magenta+Green. This is a load of + type crosses, green and magenta (blue+red) that don't overlap, you align plus to plus. There are also single width dots. I find with this patern you can see exactly what is happening as the green + red/blue don't cancel each other out - Eg if your green is less focused (fatter) than the red, you may find the red is slightly out but because its hidden by the larger green you can't see.....With this patern you can. Sometimes in the far corners you can also make an informed decision on how much error you'll accept, ie you sacrifice a little in the near corner of the block to pull the outer corner in so averaging the convergance setting so that the error is less noticable.

BTW the User Def Cross Hatch option in the Philips prog is great for focus as it has four corner squares and a central square with 9 close spaced double rings. Excelent for seeing Schemflug errors and manual focus....Just wished there was a similar patern with Top/Bottom/Left/Right ones for EM focus purposes !

Cya,
    Lee

12. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Lee

Thanks for the useful info there :thumbsup:

Regards

John