Convergence (ance?)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NickBull, Mar 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last night I noticed that my mouse pointer had a slight blue shadow so I decided to check the convergence. Using the Barco generated grid there was a slight sign of it not being perfect so I entered the guided set up and, standing 2 to 3 feet from the screen, proceded to converge. Some blocks needed minor tweaks and others were fine (pj was warmed up for an hour first).

After adjustment I think the picture looked slightly sharper and the shadow had gone, although there was a slight red shadow at the very top of the screen when the mouse pointed was moved.

I think I have done a reasonable job, but how well does the convergence need to be done, do the lines of the grid need to be completely on top of ach other, or can some leaway be tollerated? I found it almost impossible to get every line totally convereged.

Do I need an expert in? It's been set up for 5 months but I don't think the picture was noticably bad before I did it and it is only very slightly better after.

How often do other poeple converge, if ever. Am I wasting my time for these very small degrees of adjustment?

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Convergence is a funny thing and it affects differnet projectors in different ways. Even the same projector in a differnt location. I've never really got to the bottom of it.

The main cause of convergence drift is temperature related. You are correct not to make any changes until it has heated up for about and hour. This change can either be due to climate changes or the core temperature within the projector.

The earths magnetic field changes all the time and that can drag convergence out.

Most people fimnd they may have to perfom minor tweaks every few weeks others have never had to do it. New or old it doesn't seem to make a diffence.

You should be able to get most of the convergence lines smack on, however they do interact with the block next to them and over time can end up fighting each other and need setting back to mid possition.

At the end of the day if the picture looks correct to you then it is.

3. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't really notice it until I had the white mouse pointer on a black screen and then it was only very slight.

I'll monitor it over the next few weeks, but for the difference it made it is probably not worth doing it that often.

Roland, how often would you recoment a profesional overhaul and calibration? Anually?

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Difficult to answer really one a year should be about right. Most people can tell when there projector is getting out of hand.

5. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is that when it storts coming in late smelling of booze? Gets a tattoo and never speaks to you?

6. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If ever a fixed convergence CRT projector is developed, then LCD and DLP won't get a look in!

7. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This must be the joy of CRT ownership. Long evenings spent reconverging. Lots of money spent getting an expert in to do it right. Hooking your central heating system up to your PC so that room temperatures are constantly monitored and microscopically adjusted just in case the famous 'inky black' ends up looking like the Ready Brek kid. God, what us LCD owners are missing, its enough to make you cry.

Cry with laughter more like. Hey David, hate to spoil the party but fixed convergence is old hat over in LCDland;) Waheeey!!!

8. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took me about 10 minutes to do the convergence, it wasn't really that far out.

The picture quality of 1000 fold over LCD really does make that 10 minutes well spent. :D :D

All have their pro's and con's and I'm definately not anti any technology. You make your choice and have to live with it, if 10 mins convergence every 6 months is my penance for buying CRT then I think it is worth it.

I suppose if you keep you LCD or DLP in a cupboard and bring it out when you want to watch a film, you'll be spending a lot longer setting it up that a fixed CRT!

9. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick,

True enough. But the portability of LCD is a virtue not a vice.

10. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know. I was very close to going down that raod too. But once I moved house and lied to the g/f about the size of a CRT I dedicated a room to it.

I will be keeping a close eye on developements of the portable projectors though. When my CRT is ready for replacement they may be a viable option. To get the quality I have with the Barco 808 I'd have had to go for a very top of the range DLP and it would have cost over 3 times the proce of the pj, installation and the PC I use to drive it!

I beleive I got a bargaon as an HT300 would have been the alternative. Now if that sort of quality is availlable in 5 years for under £4000 I would certainly be near the top of my list.

I suppose I'm lucky to be able to have a dedicated room. If the G/F ever wanted the dining room back I may have to re-locate

Nick

11. simon69

simon69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    You should make your G/F think it was her (good) idea to have a dedicated room, then she will never want it back!!:D

12. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I spent many hours converging my first (Seleco) projector. I enjoyed doing it and have to say made a better job of it than many of the dem models I saw. Having said that a profesional, such as Gordon or Roland will obviously be able to get the most out of it. If you want the last drop of performance it pays to go for somebody in the know. Convergence is only one part of the setup process. There is also the job of colour balancing/ grey scale etc and of course making sure everything is strait. A long process but the results are more than worth it. I won't be changing my 808 for a fan heater just yet :D

Rob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.