Controversial.... maybe

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by adamdavid, Nov 22, 2018.

1. adamdavid

adamdavid

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +36
      Ok, here's the thing. I am perfectly happy with my system. It's a Yamaha RX-V681 AV receiver driving a 5.1 Wharfdale DX1 SE speaker system. My 320kbps MP3 library runs off a self built HTPC which connects directly to my AV receiver via HDMI. Speaker cable is cheap thin stuff that came with an old Phillips 5.1 speaker/Amp pack.

I listen to my music library and I am very, very happy with it. I feel no need to upgrade or change anything. The sound it makes is very pleasant to listen to. I am happy with the level of detail my system reveals.

Am I the only one that has a system that seems to go against all perceived wisdow, i.e. cheap speaker cable, MP3 rather than FLAC, multi channel amp rather than stereo. Am I the only one who thinks that their system sounds just right?

Am I abnormal for being satisfied, nay happy, with the system he has?

2. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +909
      Said it before - there is LoFi and HiFi and somewhere in the middle is SatisFi

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    3. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +621
      Nope not the exception, you are the rule. I also suggest you are the future. I went to the effort of reripping my families CD collection to FLAC rather than MP3 because storage is cheap and the collections were getting all mixed up. .everytime a new device was added, additional copies of the files were being generated. I truth,I find it difficult to distinguish between some of my 320k copies and a FLAC version.
      I have been constantly lauding the quality and value of AVRs

4. Adam72

Adam72

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      Just out of interest have you heard what some would call a high end system. Is it a case of ignorance is bliss. For the record I do not have a high end system, and I’m quite happy also.

5. andy1249

andy1249
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,512
      Yamahas are good with music, they are no slouch.
      Speakers are decent too.
      Expensive speaker wire is and always has been a fraud.

The only thing I wouldnt be happy with in your system is mp3.

Im running a yamaha receiver, monitor audio speakers , and everything is flac.
      Im very happy with it and wont change it till something dies.

6. gibbsy

gibbsy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,154
      I think the biggest difference you would notice with your system would be a better source. MP3 isn't the greatest way to listen especially with some modern recordings which have some really dreadful compression rates. Some of the recordings from artistes that I really admire and just awful and the best place I've found to listen to some of them is in the car with the drone of diesel engine in the background.

If you are happy with your kit then really it's not anyones place to tell you any different, although I do suggest that you have never listened to music on a good system from a quality source. My kit, perhaps with the exception of the headphone side, is not by any means high end. I was never happy with the performance of a Denon X6200 to deliver music, it certainly never lived up to my old Technics seperates which I stupidly sold.

7. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,764
      I have been perfectly happy with systems in the past, and I am perfectly happy with the systems I have in my office, kitchen, bedroom and gaming room. They are perfectly pleasant, do the job I want them to do, and I enjoy them.

However, the system I have for music in my main room sounds friggin amazing. It makes me stand still (sit) and give it all my attention, it draws me in, and makes the hairs on my arms stand on end.

It's taken a lot of trial and error to get that system right, but I am much much more than perfectly happy with it. It's my sanctuary. Just wish I had more time to use it!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    8. adamdavid

adamdavid

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +36
      I think there is a degree of that. I remember years ago upgrading my stereo from a cheap Pioneer Midi system to a Denon DM50 with Mission for Denon speakers and hearing details in songs I'd never heard before - it was a revelation. I still have those speakers hooked up to a Denon D-M38 but it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the Yamaha/Wharfdale combination.

I guess most people post on here wanting advice on their next upgrade - it just makes me wonder if I am missing out.

I particularly like this sentiment!

9. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +642
      The only thing that matters at the end of the day is whether the owner of a system is happy with it.

It can also be true that someone can be happy with a system because it is the best they have heard, but once they hear something much better, then they may no longer be happy with it :)

I also have a Yamaha RX-V781 (basically the same as the 681 but with some minor features lifted from the Aventage series) and I used to use that for music listening with a 5.1 setup (large floor standers for the front) sometimes in pure direct mode, sometimes in N channel up-mix. I have tried straight/stereo and party modes as well which are all bass managed stereo variations. I found for non-attentive listening of especially modern pop, EDM etc it was a perfectly enjoyable sound that improved as the level was cranked a bit. Depending on you listening material and habits and what you are used to - that more be more than enough. For me it wasn't.

I have since replaced the AVR with a Yamaha A-S2100 for music listening which and as may be expected when comparing a low-mid range AVR with a very well regarded premium end integrated hi-fi amp, the difference was just night and day for me.

I was going to go into why, but that would probably just spoil your enjoyment of what you have so I wont :)

10. Gordon2147

Gordon2147
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15
      Personally I would say that you have a great system, it is flexible for movies and music, you can play any kind of file format you care for, so the only upgrade you should consider is trying out FLAC or WAV files and see if you notice a difference.

Otherwise if you feel satisfied by what you hear, don't doubt yourself. The other thing to remember is that you have invested in this system and are enjoying yourself, so if I were you I would enjoy that investment until it goes Phut.

You can tinker and change till the cows come home, but you are quite clear that you enjoy what your hear, so that to me says, enjoy. :smashin:

11. bjdan

bjdan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15
      Hi @Rambles, what system are you using currently ?

12. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,764
      Hi. The really good one is a Cambridge CXC transport into a Roksan K3 DAC, into an Arcam AVR550 in direct mode, which feeds a pair of Kef R300's and a BK XLS200 connected via high level for music.

13. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +624
      Keep calm and carry on listening...

Seems as though you haven't been bitten by the mosquito carrying the upgraditis virus! My advice is keep going with whatever method seems to be working for you, because once you've caught it, purchasing impetuous can be the next level, and that's not a good thing!

Remember the law of diminishing returns and that your ears are unique, and grow the content for your system so you can enjoy it more.