• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Controversial DS Thread

smashed

Well-known Member
Not controversial, just a pointless thread. This will hopefully be ignored by all.
All the points have been covered previously, and you havent even tried to make any points yourself :(

Best to just ignore the thread, sorry.
 

T-Bone

Active Member
smashed said:
Not controversial, just a pointless thread. This will hopefully be ignored by all.
All the points have been covered previously, and you havent even tried to make any points yourself :(

Best to just ignore the thread, sorry.

I was actually about to outline my own opinions and experiences with the Original DS and the DS Lite.

Given the volume of people asking about the DS Lite, and my own inclinations as a DS Lite owner, I thought a thread collating peoples experiences with both versions would be useful.

Just because you have read the information before, doesn't necessarily mean that others have, and even so constructive debate and discussion bears repeating, even if you do not find it entertaining or of interest personally.

To describe someones thread as 'pointless' and hoping it will be 'ignored by all' before you have even given it chance to develop is unfair, and against the nature of the forums.
 

andytabor

Active Member
lets see, if you discount the way it looks asthetically, as its pretty objective which one is best in terms of looks (personally i think the lite is miles better looking) but.............1. it has a brighter screen, 2. A more responsive d-pad, 3. its smaller and more compact without compromising the screen size, 4. the mic is in a better position, 5. a longer thicker stylus thats less fiddly to hold, i think its hard to disagree that its better.
 

T-Bone

Active Member
andytabor said:
lets see, if you discount the way it looks asthetically, as its pretty objective which one is best in terms of looks (personally i think the lite is miles better looking) but.............1. it has a brighter screen, 2. A more responsive d-pad, 3. its smaller and more compact without compromising the screen size, 4. the mic is in a better position, 5. a longer thicker stylus thats less fiddly to hold, i think its hard to disagree that its better.

I would agree, the DS lite is considerably better looking than the original DS.

However, on the subject of the d-pad, while it might be more responsive, I find it feels quite cheap and flimsy? I have used another ds lite as well and felt the same way, but perhaps I should try another one and consider exhanging mine.

Quality control does seem to be poor with the ds lite though. Dead pixels, cracked hinges and loose d-pads seem really common and friends working in retail agree with this statement.

But perhaps once you've got a working unit, its a really good device, its just getting there that can be a little problematic?
 

andytabor

Active Member
yeah i accept what your saying, to begin with i didnt like the d-pad but it gets better with use, just needs to be played to loosen it up a bit i think, i suppose the d-pad thing is a matter of opinion as well, i like it better than the original one IMO
 

themanwithapc

Active Member
T-Bone said:
I would agree, the DS lite is considerably better looking than the original DS.

However, on the subject of the d-pad, while it might be more responsive, I find it feels quite cheap and flimsy? I have used another ds lite as well and felt the same way, but perhaps I should try another one and consider exhanging mine.

Quality control does seem to be poor with the ds lite though. Dead pixels, cracked hinges and loose d-pads seem really common and friends working in retail agree with this statement.

But perhaps once you've got a working unit, its a really good device, its just getting there that can be a little problematic?

For me, the original DS dpad is crap. I prefer the newer one on the DS Lite a lot more.

As for quality control, I don't understand how that can be used to say 'the DSL is not an improvement over the DS'. Is quality control a 'feature' of the DSL? Anyway, on the subject of quality control, I'll also let you know that I know at least 10 people who've bought one (white and black) and only one of them had a dead pixel. This was exchanged by the retailer, but if they refused, he could have just gone to Nintendo. Quality control is less of a problem (even though I still fail to see how quality control makes the old DS worse/better) when the manufacturer offers a great after sales service.
 

Conn

Active Member
Lite is better in virtually every aspect. Only thing I would change is the GBA cart sticking out...but that is a small price to pay for the improved general design.

QC is nothing to do with the Lite versus Phat question. What it does go to show is Nintendo's excellent aftercare service (none of this dodgy "tolerence" level with dead pixels - one dead is enough for a brand new unit, no quibble).
 

Epicurus

Well-known Member
Well I held off replacing my DS for ages but finally last week bought the Toys R Us DS Lite pack.

For me the Lite is a considerable improvement. It's worth it for the looks and more compact size, but the other improvements make it even better. Particularly the superb screens, better stylus and better mic position.

I cant comment on the d pad as it hasnt made any difference to me yet.
 

nicky_j

Standard Member
T-Bone said:
The DS lite is not an improvement over the original DS. Discuss.

I used to have a silver DS and now have a white DS lite and noticed yellowing on the shoulder buttons within a couple of weeks and also have a dead pixel. The DS lite looks nicer than the DS and i definitely prefer it being lighter and smaller but i agree that it feels flimsier, like it isnt as well made as the original ds.
 

silvercue

Distinguished Member
I got a ds a few days ago and the guy in GAME showed me a DS Lite and an old DS with the same game to show the screen improvement. The difference in brightness and screen/image quality was very, very clear.
 

misterjingo

Active Member
T-Bone said:
The DS lite is not an improvement over the original DS. Discuss.

I’d never played an original DS until this past weekend when I visited my parents. My niece had a DS with nintendogs, so I had a play with it, and to be honest, I was absolutely shocked at the quality of the screen. Even my sister (nieces mum) was amazed at the lites screen. The original DS screen is pretty mediocre when compared side by side with my DS lite. I actually found it hard to make some things out and could only see ‘clearly’ when holding at certain angles. I also found the original DS felt a bit too plastic and bulky, without any of the style and solid feel of the lite.
I’ve very glad I chose a lite over the original.
 

internetuser

Well-known Member
The new DS Lite is a lot better than the old imo

BUT

my black one looks dirty all the time with finger prints

I fear the white ones will go yellow over time...
 

CrispyXUK

Well-known Member
1. Brighter Screens
2. Better Smaller DPad
3. Better Buttons
4. Better Battery Life
5. More comfortable
 

BuFF DaDDy

Well-known Member
Beat me to it Crispy, that was the exact reasons I was going to say :smashin: DS Lite, sh*ts all over the origional DS full stop!

Also to add, it simply looks better, the build quality is more substantial, it no lonegr feels cheap!, and it looks great too in Black or White, I got the white one to go with my IPOD.
 

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom