Answered Controlling volume on AVR using Samsung Universal smart remote

RhysV

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice to enable me to control the volume on my setup using my new Samsung Universal Smart Remote. At the moment it just pops up an icon showing an optical or bluetooth connection depending on how I have the AVR connected- I guess it's not possible to adjust the output volume?

Running:
TV- New Samsung UE55KS8000 (my word this thing is good!)
AV Receiver - Harman Kardon AVR171
Connection: Probably optical is best? However I can use HDMI, ARC or Bluetooth if better.
Source; TV apps for Netflix and Amazon mostly, or also a Windows 10 HTPC over HDMI

I have the AVR connected over Optical out of the TV for now because I don't think ARC will allow me to run audio from TV to amp, only the other way round? Plus I hear that it only does Dolby not DTS?

Is there maybe a way to "teach" the samsung smart remote the AVR commands? I like the simplicity of it for everyday use rather than the AVR remote or a Logitech.

Found this thread but it has not really helped.;
Controlling amplifier with Samsung's "universal remote"

Cheers!

Connect via ARC as TV audio will pass down to the amp (in Dolby Digital as stated) and then the TV remote will control the amp volume (whilst also turning on and off with the TV automatically)
All other devices should go into the amp via HDMI (allowing DTS and their high resolution counterparts to be fed directly into the amp). Don't worry about the lack of DTS over ARC as all TV broadcasts and streaming apps from the TV will be using Dolby Digital, not DTS

Connect via ARC as TV audio will pass down to the amp (in Dolby Digital as stated) and then the TV remote will control the amp volume (whilst also turning on and off with the TV automatically)
All other devices should go into the amp via HDMI (allowing DTS and their high resolution counterparts to be fed directly into the amp). Don't worry about the lack of DTS over ARC as all TV broadcasts and streaming apps from the TV will be using Dolby Digital, not DTS

Thanks for the reply, I've just tried HDMI ARC but must be setting it up wrong; it won't see the HDMI4 ARC connection as an option to output sound to...only my optical cable I'm using temporarily, and Bluetooth.

I'm running through "HDMI out ARC" on my amp, and into HDMI ARC on tv. What source should I vhoose on the amp? There's no ARC source? How does the amp know to take TV input over the ARC OUT connection?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm very tech savvy usually but this is the first foray into ARC for me.
Thanks!

As long as both devices have HDMI control turned on (sometimes called something different depending on manufacturer) then it should be automatic. If you launch an app on the TV the amp switches to the correct by itself. Check on your amps HDMI settings in the menu as most amps have this disabled by default

That's the cookie! It was the HDMI auto detection setting on the amp just as you said.

...I'm glad I didn't give up when the the sales guy at Richer Sounds said it likely wouldn't work!

Thanks AndyRg4

That's the cookie! It was the HDMI auto detection setting on the amp just as you said.

...I'm glad I didn't give up when the the sales guy at Richer Sounds said it likely wouldn't work!

Thanks AndyRg4

No problem at all, glad to be of help and it's all sorted. Sales people aren't technical. They just sell the products. Just happens to be I am a TV salesman who is also an installer and techie

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom